For the bottom layer of these gluten free blondies, or dessert bars, if you wish, I used my gluten free graham cracker recipe. I added a bit more honey and butter to soften the crust. You may add sweetened condensed milk, or for dairy-free, coconut milk and honey. After that you top it with your favorite toppings: chocolate chips, nuts, oatmeal, and/or shredded coconut. I skipped the coconut due to allergies. Of course, if you’re dairy-free you’ll use your favorite brand of dairy-free chocolate chips. I’ve listed the most popular, easy to melt brand below. Once baked and cooled, you have yourself treats for home or on-the-go! And they are made egg-free! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Blondies – Egg-Free with Dairy-Free Options
Gluten free blondies recipe made from a soft honey graham crust - add a thin creamy layer and top with oats, nuts, chocolate or coconut. Yum!
For the Crust:
- 1/4 cup hot water (hot enough to dissolve honey)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Scant 1/2 cup (7 1/2 T.) sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (Bob's Red Mill's is GMO free) (or tapioca flour/starch)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup fresh dark brown sugar, packed firmly
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum if corn intolerant)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (or salt)
- 8 Tablespoons butter (1 stick) or dairy-free buttery spread (Earth Balance) (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling:
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk (or 3/4 cup coconut milk + 1/4 honey for dairy-free & sugar-free)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (or potato starch)
- 1 cup walnuts. chopped (or shredded coconut for nut-free)
- 1 cups gluten free oatmeal
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free dark chocolate chips, divided (Nestle Natural Dark Choc. Morsels) (dairy-free if needed: Enjoy Life brand)
To Make the Crust:
- Remove butter from the refrigerator; allow to rest while preparing the below ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small cup, add warm water (about 100°F) and stir into honey; set aside to cool.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, breaking apart any large pieces of brown sugar.
- Cut butter into approximately 16 pieces; add to flour mixture; with a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until it almost forms a dough.
- Add vanilla to water and honey; stir; add to dry ingredient; and mix well with rubber spatula.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish; sprinkle several drops of water over batter; with clean rubber spatula spread to smooth, dropping more water drops on top as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, salt, and cornstarch; pour onto top of botom layer; distribute evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix walnuts, oatmeal and chocolate chips together; sprinkle over top of of milk mixuture.
- Press into dough slightly with your hands; bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted well.
- Allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes; refrigerate for 2 or more hours, or until firm.
- Cut into squares and serve; or store, wrapped individually, ready for snacking.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in the Gluten Free Blondies Recipe made with eggs and soy.
Please vote in the Best of the Gluten Free Awards; and please keep Carla’s Gluten Free Recipe Box in mind in the Best Gluten Free Blog category (towards the end of the survey). Visit http://bestofglutenfreeawards.com through March 31, 2013.