I have a Meringue Buttercream Frosting which is perfect for those who are corn-free or seeking a silky texture. However, it’s a lot of work. When you desire a traditional buttercream frosting recipe using confectioners’ sugar, use this one. You can add just about any flavoring or color you desire. It is an excellent buttercream frosting.
Why Add Shortening?
Typically, American buttercream does not contain shortening. However, if you wish to cut back on butter and/or make a buttercream that can withstand summer heat, a little added shortening is the way to go. Shortening also makes a whiter buttercream.
Gluten Free Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1/3 cup (5-1/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup (5-1/3 tablespoons) vegetable shortening (Spectrum) or more butter
- Small pinch salt
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, or as needed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy cream* (or 3 tablespoons each additional butter and shortening)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (for basic vanilla flavor*)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional) - goes well with apple and almond desserts
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter, shortening, and salt until fluffy.
- Sift in half of the confectioners' sugar on low speed until incorporated.
- Add half of the milk/cream and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- Alternately, add the remaining sugar and milk and beat until thoroughly combined. Continue to mix until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Use on cupcakes, cakes, and other desserts.
Heavy cream makes this frosting light, rich, and fluffy.
You can also add melted and cooled gluten free chocolate, to the taste and texture desired. Adding some almond,lemon,or other flavored extract can also be done. (Do not use vanilla with such fruity extracts as vanilla. However, you can use both almond and vanilla at the same time.
****Allergen vary when using cream depending on the brand and its ingredients.****
Keep in mind that the frosting will become stiffer when it sets
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.