Filled with rich cheese sauce, these are no ordinary potato skins. Top them with your favorite toppings and have your guests literally eating out of your hands. They’re perfect for feeding hearty appetites and on game day!
Instead of using cheddar cheese and just melting it, this recipe calls for my gluten free cheese sauce. You can even spice it up a bit if desired. Instead of using bacon you can add diced tomatoes and sliced green onion. With just the use of a microwave or oven, sauce pan and a stove, you’ll have this appetizer ready in no time. If you’d like, you can make the cheese sauce in advance. Enjoy!
Find more recipes like this in my cookbook “Carla’s Best 125 Gluten-Free Recipes” coming 2016.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 – 60 minutes
These gluten free potato skins are a sure crowd-pleaser. Are you ready? Game on!
- 8 small to medium russet potatoes
- Neutral-flavored oil or melted butter, for potato skins
- Double recipe of Gluten Free Cheese Sauce with additional cheese, to taste
- 4 slices gluten-free bacon, cooked and chopped, or gluten-free bacon bits
- Chopped peppers, diced tomatoes, gluten-free sour cream, and/or sliced green onion (optional)
- Baste potatoes with oil or butter; bake in a preheated 350°F oven until tender, 45 - 60 minutes. (Alternatively, you can stab them with a knife in several places and microwave. However, oiled and baked will provide better potatoes.)
- While the potatoes bake, make the cheese sauce. Add additional cheese to meet your taste.
- Once baked, slice the potatoes in half. Scoop out some of the potato meat, leaving at least 1/4-inch near the skin. (Save removed potato for mashed potatoes.)
- Pour some warm cheese sauce in the center of each potato half. Top with pieces of cooked bacon, bacon bits, chopped peppers, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and/or sliced green onion. Serve immediately. Cover leftovers and refrigerate. To reheat, microwave on low or bake in a preheated oven until thoroughly heated.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.