Most of the gluten-free books that I review are targeted at people who have a gluten intolerance. This gluten-free weight loss book can definitely help those individuals. However, if you are seeking to lose weight while on a gluten-free diet, this book is for you whether you have a gluten intolerance or not. Many of the gluten-free foods we gluten-free dieters eat contain high amounts of starch (carbs), resulting in weight gain. In addition, if you’re not gluten intolerant, a gluten-free diet is known to help a variety of symptoms due to a variety of conditions. This gluten-free weight loss book is filled with many useful guides, logs, eating plans, lists and exercises that can help you on your road to a healthy, fit body.
The Gluten Free Fat Loss Plan Book Review
The book is written by Allison Westfahl, who asked me to review her book. Allison is a nationally renowned trainer, exercise physioligist, endurance sports coach, fitness model and author. She attended Yale University, where she sang for President Clinton’s White House Holiday Party and ran her first marathon. In 2002, Allison became a certified personal trainer through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and founded “The Athletic Edge”, a training and fitness consulting company. She now resides in Boulder, Colorado.
When her publicist sent me her book, it sat for almost 2 months, while I contemplated whether or not I wanted to review a book which I thought was written by someone who did not have a gluten intolerance, themselves. Well, I had to at least look at it, right? Well, once I did, the first thing I noticed was that her lists of gluten-free manufacturers were the top leading brands, many of which make certified gluten-free products. She got that right, I thought.
Then I read the chapter on “No Gluten Allergy Required-This Book is For Everyone!” She explained why once we lose weight and then eat one cookie, we gain back 3 lbs. “How could that be?” we ask ourselves. Finally, an answer to my long unanswered question! Her fat loss plan is permanent, not temporary. I like it! And in the same chapter I learned that she has an aunt that is diagnosed with celiac disease. This made me feel much better. I thought, “Okay, then she has some really good guidance, here.” I discovered that because Allison had some of the symptoms of celiac disease herself, she committed to the gluten-free diet for 6 months. Her endometriosis disappeared; she lost 15 pounds; had more energy, which was very important to her fitness regimen; and her gas and bloating were gone (which alone can shrink a waistline!) She’s now been on the diet for over 6 years.
The book is in 2 parts: educational and the actual gluten-free weight loss plan. The gluten-free weight loss plan is divided into 3 parts: over 10 lbs. to lose, under 10 lbs. to lose, and a section for maintaining your weight. The meal plans are set up separately for those who like to cook and for those who do not. The snacks never require more than 5 minutes to assemble. How ideal is that?
The exercise section teaches you how to make your body tight and fit without any equipment. It can all be done in the comfort of your home.
She includes 30 of her favorite gluten-free recipes, many of which her mother created. You can keep track of your diet in the nutritional log she provides. As always, the bottom line is calories, but she concentrates on nutrition, as well. I love it! Not all recipes are soy-free and corn-free, though many provide soy-free options, and most are corn-free, though a few call for corn tortillas or polenta. You’ll see words such as GMO free variety, grass fed beef or buffalo (bison), etc. I love it!
Allison also includes a list of restaurant chains that carry a gluten-free menu and many of other gluten and celiac resources which you may find very helpful. She also includes testimonials with photos, documenting proof that her gluten-free weight loss plan works. Her parents began the gluten-free diet last year and have each lost about 30 lbs.
I’m actually thinking about giving her plan a try, myself! I recently lost 10 lbs., but I sure could use a boost for getting over the hurdle of my next 10 pounds! More importantly, I need some incentive to get my sagging body, fit!
You can find The Gluten Free Fat Loss Plan on Amazon (see below). Or you can enter a chance to win 1 of 2 copies below.
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
Open to U.S. and Canadian Shipping Addresses
Two lucky winners will receive the following:
- 1 copy of The Gluten Free Fat Loss Plan.
Suggested Retail Value of approximately $19.99.
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
(One Entry Per Comment- so separate them out, e.g., Twitter and Facebook.)
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me the link to your tweet in a separate comment below. To find the link, just click on “1 hour ago”, etc. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet this post on Twitter by mentioning “@GFrecipebox“ and this url: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-fat-loss-plan in your tweet; and leave me a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other blog post or forum post on this site, today, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the 328 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Like The Gluten Free Fat Loss Plan on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Allison Westfahl on Twitter (@allisonwestfahl) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on October 3, 2011.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on October 6, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that time period, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on October 4, 2011 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential between us and Allison Westfahl.
- The name of the winner will be announced on this page, right below this line, on October 4, 2011.
Disclaimer: Allison Westfahl provided us with a review copy of her book to review, and we were under no obligation to review it, if we so chose. Nor were we under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free copy.
Check out all of our current gluten-free giveaways.
And the winner is…
Betty has until 11:59pm PST on October 6, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If she does not reply within that time frame a new winner will be chosen.
Winners are chosen using random.org: