If you haven’t read my review on “The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book” by Robin Ryberg, you should. It contains great recipes, some of which are copycats of famous gluten recipes. Courtesy of Da Capo Press, find below a gluten-free Girl Scout Thin Mints recipe! Who wouldn’t want gluten free girl scout cookies? Right? Enjoy!
Make your own Thin Mint gluten free Girl Scout cookies with cookbook author, Robin Ryberg recipe.
- 1/3 cup oil, 65 grams
- 1/4 cup sugar, 50 grams
- 1 cup brown rice flour, 125 grams
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 30 grams
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Chocolate Coating:
- 12 ounces broken milk chocolate bars, 340 grams
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the brown rice flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining batter ingredients and beat well. Continue beating until the dough comes together; it will be soft and oily to the touch.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut the cookies and place them on the prepared pan. Bake the cookies for 8 to 9 minutes, until the tops are dry. Let cool well before coating; the cookies should be crisp upon cooling.
- For the chocolate coating, I suggest making two batches of coating (using half of the ingredients at a time) so that it does not harden before you have used it all. Place half the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, until melted. Stir in half the sugar and half the mint extract. Stir until creamy. Dip the cookies into the chocolate and place on waxed paper to cool. The coating should be as thin as possible to mimic the original.
Note: Milk chocolate bars melt “thinner” than do milk chocolate chips. Milk chocolate chips may be used, but will make for a thicker chocolate coating.
Excerpted from The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book by Robin Ryberg. Copyright © 2010 Da Capo Press Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.