About a month ago, Growing Naturals contacted me about reviewing their raw gluten free brown rice isolate protein powder, as well as their yellow pea protein powder. They sent me 5 flavors: rice-original, rice-vanilla, rice-chocolate, yellow pea-original, and yellow pea-vanilla. The rice protein is made from sprouted rice, which is the healthiest way to consume grains. It contains more health benefits, as it is more alive, so to speak. Each morning I make a protein shake, so this was perfect for me, and it’s arsenic safe. Read on to learn more, and enter the giveaway to win 2 free 1 lb. canisters in vanilla and chocolate. Good luck!
I made myself double shots (2 teaspoons) of each flavor, mixed with chilled water, to really experience the flavor of these proteins. Besides water, you can mix them with any type of milk you prefer: almond, cow’s, rice milk, etc. Each flavor is sweetened with stevia, except for the pea-original, and the vanilla flavors have more than others, which I really enjoyed, and they were not at all bitter, like some stevia brands. The original flavors are not sweet at all, despite the rice variety containing some. The original flavors would best go with a fruit shake. The chocolate flavors are just lightly sweetened. I just loved the vanilla flavors plain, even the pea protein, which tends to be a bit bitter.
Growing Naturals tests each lot during production for less than 10ppm (parts per million) gluten.
Arsenic in Rice
After many communications to finalize the details of this review and giveaway, the rice/arsenic scare broke in the news. I requested additional information from Growing Naturals. Luckily for us, Growing Naturals immediately had their products tested. Because the FDA has not yet set a safe level of arsenic in food products in the United States, they can only report their findings, which are incredibly low, to me.
Their reports found that the levels of arsenic found in their products are either “not detectable” or less than 1 ppm (part per million), and this is only for organic arsenic because their products are organic (no concern fro pesticides, etc.). Organic arsenic is not deemed a risk. You see, there are 2 different types of arsenic, organic (found in soil, etc., and inorganic, found in pesticides, etc.). The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set the maximum level for arsenic in water to be 1ppb (parts per billion), as they assume it may contain inorganic arsenic, which is deemed to be a higher risk. I see 1 ppm as very low because let’s face it, those with celiac disease who cannot tolerate gluten often consume up to 20 ppm gluten. In addition, the tests revealed that the products are below the food arsenic levels regulated by the UK, Australia and World health Organization (WHO). For more information see Growing Naturals’ Arsenic in Brown Rice Products and the Opinion Letter on Arsenic in Rice by the person who tested their products, Wil Sumner, a former FDA Supervisor and consultant to the California State Attorney General’s Office and Prop.
As a side note, with my legal background, I can tell you, when an attorney writes an opinion letter, they are sticking their neck out, as it opens them to liable law suits, if they are incorrect. Therefore, attorneys are very careful in their accuracy in an opinion letter.
Raw Rice Protein Powder
The rice proteins are Organic, non-GMO, Raw, Gluten Free, Vegan, Allergen Free*, Whole Grain, Heart Healthy, 100% Natural, and Clean Label certified.
Sprouted and Enzymatically Processed, High Bioavability and Absorption, Sustained Release.
Protein 24g, Whey AA Correlation 96%, BCAA 5.0g, Glutamine & Precursors 4.6g, Carbs 4.0g, Sugar 1.0g.
INGREDIENTS AND VALUES
Rice Protein – Original
Organic Orzatein (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein Isolate), Organic Oryza (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Syrup Solids).
Protein 24g, Whey AA Correlation 96%, BCAA 5.0g, Glutamine & Precursors 4.6g, Sugar 0g, Low Gylcemic Index.
Rice Protein – Vanilla Blast
Organic Orzatein (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein Isolate), Organic Oryza (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brwon Rice Syrup Solids), Organic Flavor (not derived from corn or gluten), Organic Guar Gum, Organic Gum Arabic, Organic Stevia, Sea Salt.
Protein 24g, Whey AA Correlation 96%, BCAA 5.0g, Glutamine & Precursors 4.6g, Sugar Carbs 4.0g, 1.0g.
Rice Protein – Chocolate Power
Organic Orzatein (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein Isolate), Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Oryza (Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brwon Rice Syrup Solids), Organic Flavor (not derived from corn or gluten), Organic Guar Gum, Organic Gum Arabic, Organic Stevia, Sea Salt.
Protein 24g, Whey AA Correlation 96%, BCAA 5.0g, Glutamine & Precursors 4.6g, Carbs 5.0g, Sugar 1.0g.
Rice Protein – Strawberry Burst – Coming Soon!
Raw Pea Protein Powder
The pea proteins are Organic, Raw, Gluten Free, Vegan, Allergen Free, Whole Grain, Heart Healthy, 100% Natural, and Clean Label certified.
Excellent Digestibility, Higher Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) compared to other vegetable proteins, High in Argenine & Lysine Amino Acids.
Pea Protein – Original
Vegotein P® (Raw Non-GMO yellow Pea Protein) Contains split peas which are a lentil legume.
Fat 1g, Carbs 1g, Sugar 1g, Cholesterol 0g. BCAA 3g, Protein 15g.
Pea Protein – Vanilla Blast
Vegotein P® (Raw Non-GMO yellow Pea Protein), Organic Coconut Sugar, Organic Whole Grain brown Rice, Organic Vanila Flavor, Organic Stevia. Flavor not derived from corn or gluten. Contains split peas which are a lentil legume.
Fat 1g, Carbs 6g, Sugar 3g, Cholesterol 0g. BCAA 3g, Protein 15g.
Pea Protein – Chocolate Power Coming Soon!
Interested in purchasing some of their gluten free products? Get 20% your first order at Growing Naturals!
THE GLUTEN FREE GIVEAWAY
This giveaway is open to U.S. shipping addresses only.
One (1) lucky winner will each receive 2 1 lb. canisters of Growing Naturals Rice Isolate Protein Powder (1 of each flavor: vanilla and chocolate – pictured above).
Valued at approximately $40.
How to Enter
Do step No. 1 below (mandatory), and then do additional steps for additional entries. Each comment counts as an entry.
- Comment on this post below, requesting to be entered in the giveaway and explain why you wish to enter. (mandatory).
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so below by stating so and leave your FB name. (1 extra entry)
- Share this link: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/growing-naturals-rice-pea-protein-powder on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below or share it from my Facebook page; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway, using “@GFrecipebox“ in your tweet, along with this link http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/growing-naturals-rice-pea-protein-powder to the giveaway, and leave a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Carla on Pinterest. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other recipe or article on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in separate comments. Other giveaways do not count. And comments do for other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this giveaway on any of the over 400 social networks by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top left column of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber just leave a comment stating so. (1 extra entry)
- “Like” Growing Naturals on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow @growingnaturals on Twitter and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- This giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on October 13, 2012.
- The winner will be announce on this page on October 14, 2012.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on October 17, 2012 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on October 14, 2012 to view the winner announcement. All shipping addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using a contest software application.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page.
*Allergen Free is defined as free of the top 8 allergens: milk, wheat, soy, egg, tree nut, peanut, fish and shellfish.
Disclaimer: Growing Naturals provided me with free samples of their products to try, and I they were under no obligation to review them, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free products.
See all current Gluten Free Giveaways.
And the winner is…
Congratulations Jacqlin! Please check your email and respond to the winner’s notification by 11:59 pm PST on October 17, 2012 and supply your shipping address and phone number. If you do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen.