Rather than using ketchup and other highly processed sauces, you can use fresh fruit to make your own sauces used for toppings like this savory cherry sauce. It is a very creative recipe which you can adjust to meet your tastes. I like to change the seasonings, wine, and type of onion used. However, in a savory cherry sauce, it is best to use a sweet onion such as green (shallots) or even red. Due to chemicals in so many of our condiments, consider adding homemade gluten free sauces to your gluten free recipes.
I like to keep some savory cherry sauce, or even my plum sauce, in the frig to warm up for quick dinners. It can be used to top grilled chicken, pork ,and even turkey. As you can see in the above photo, I used it to top some turkey sausages. I’d even push the envelope and use it on steak, of course, using red wine; or as a gourmet savory ice cream topping. What would you use it for?
Savory Cherry Sauce – Gluten Free
During cherry season (summer time), this flavorful, sweet and savory cherry sauce makes a wonderful substitute for bottle condiments and sauces.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Red Zinfandel, or Syrah)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar / syrup
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free balsamic vinegar (use 100% balsamic vinegar)
- 2 small scallions (green onion), sliced thinly, whites and light greens only
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped finely
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch (or cornstarch) + 4 teaspoons filtered water
- Add all ingredient, except for the "tapioca starch + water" in a small sauce pan.
- Heat on medium until it begins to simmer, and then lower to medium. Cook for 15 minutes, and then place on high heat.
- In a small container with a lid add the 2 teaspoons of tapioca starch with the 4 teaspoons of filtered water, cover and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Once the cherry mix comes to a boil, add starch mixture and stir constantly for a few seconds. Adjust the thickness by either adding more water or boiling longer to thicken. However, it is very thick already.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.