Stoked Oats sent me samples of their flavored gluten free oats. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t excited about it. I assumed instant oats are instant oats, whether they are gluten free oats or not. Now, I can tell you, you have to try these! They are amazing! Now I understand their story and once you try them, you will, as well. I don’t usually ramble on in my reviews, but for this one, you’ll have to forgive me. I was literally stoked!
The Stoked Oats Story
Stoked Oats was founded by two guys, who not only love oats, but are ultra endurance athletes. Stoked Oats were made for ultra endurance athletes. They started making their own gluten free oat mixes in their own home kitchen, for their personal use. They enjoyed it so much that they shared them with their friends, family, and co-workers, who also loved them. Then they decided that they were too good to keep to themselves and Stoked Oats was born.
One of the co-founders of Stoked Oats is Simon Donato, the star of the television series, Boundless. It has already begun airing in Canada, but it airs in the U.S. on September 25th via the new Esquire Network. You can check out the Boundless trailer further down on this post.
How Stoked Oats Avoids Gluten Cross Contamination
They use oats certified by the Gluten Free Certification Organization (GFCO), a subsidiary of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North Amercica (GIG). Stoked Oats are tested twice, once by their oat supplier, and again after they blend them in their Canadian facility. In both instances they test below 5 parts per million (ppm) gluten. In Canada, oats cannot be certified due to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) stipulations. They can only be called Wheat, Rye, and Barley Free. And that is just what they are…gluten free oats.
Again, I state “our” because my husband was the taste-tester for the Stone Age Oats because I am allergic to pumpkin seeds and coconut.
Because I received sample sizes of Stoked Oats, 35 grams (about 1.25 ounces), they did not have any cooking instructions on the package. I added 3/4 cup of water and microwaved them for 1 minute on high. Then I added a splash of half & half in a couple of them before I realized they all contain whey isolate. There was really no need for any dairy. I also added a teaspoon of light brown sugar. Just perfect, for our tastes!
The instructions you will find on the container is to use 1.5 parts water to 1 part oats. Of course you can add it as you would granola to yogurt or add it to a smoothie, and more.
To help you understand the ingredients list…
Whey Protein Defined:
For those who are not familiar with whey protein, it is a dairy protein, a byproduct from the cheese making process; however, most of the fat and lactose is removed. Stoked Oats contain whey protein isolate, which is a more thoroughly filtered protein, leaving it virtually lactose-free; where whey concentrate contains about 5% lactose. Most whey isolates can be certified lactose-free. Whey isolate is also extremely low in carbs and fat. There are other health benefits to whey protein, in general. It does not need digesting, but gets into your system fast. It is also packed with amino acids. Whey protein isolate is absorbed into your system faster than whey protein concentrate.
Stone Age Oats
Ingredients: Oats, Pumpkin Seeds, Flax, Whey Isolate, Almonds, Walnuts, Chia Seeds, and Coconut.
Review: Mind you, my husband is not a hot cereal cereal lover, whatsoever. He isn’t very crazy about nuts and seeds, either. As he took a few bites, he had a very curious look on his face. I asked, “Well?” He replied, “I can eat these everyday for breakfast!” That says it all, from a still gluten-eating and only has coffee for breakfast kind of person.
Ingredients: Oats, Walnuts, Flax, Whey Isolate, Chia Seeds, Instant Coffee, and Organic Chocolate (Organic Cocoa, Liquor, Organic Sugar, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Natural Cocoa Powder)
Review: I rarely drink coffee. I quit about 18 years ago. However, when I am really short on sleep, say, I only get 4 hours, I do have a cup of decaf. Well, this morning, and it seems, lately, every Thursday, I am just exhausted! I really have to cut back on my work hours. Meanwhile, all I could think about was trying Redline Stoked Oats. I really needed a pick-me-up. Well, forget about that it contained coffee, it tasted absolutely delicious! I really enjoyed the slight coffee flavor, and the finely chopped walnuts. It didn’t make me jittery at all. Just a mild pick me up, making me feel as if I had 8 hours sleep and a nutritous breakfast. I was stoked!
Note: By this time, eating oats for breakfast and lunch reminded me of my of earlier days. I was super busy then, too, and used to grab them for lunch, as well as breakfast. I was a perfect weight then, too. I never had high cholesterol, either. Perhaps experts are correct in that oats (fiber) keeps cholesterol levels in check.
Ingredients: Oats, Apple, Flax, Mulberry, Chia Seeds, Currants, Whey Isolate, and Cinnamon.
Review: When I made the Bucking-Eh Oats adding 3/4 cup of water appeared to be too much at first. However, since it contains dehydrated apples, I let it sit for a few minutes and it thickened right up. While waiting, the aroma was making me even more hungry. Who doesn’t enjoy apple and cinnamon? It’s all American! It was delicious. I felt so good about every bowl of Stoked Oats because of the healthy ingredients like chia seeds and flax.
Ingredients: Oats, Flax, Almonds, Chia Seeds, Whey Isolate, Organic Chocolate Chips (Organic Chocolate Liquor, Organic Sugar, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Natural Cocoa Powder)
At first I wondered what Aphrodisi meant. I am a little slow today. It is a play on aphrodisiac, a substance that increases your libido (sex drive). Okay, so my husband wasn’t home, but I ate them anyway. Chocolate was once thought to be an aphrodisiac because of the chemicals it creates in the brain, PEA. Meanwhile, no studies have proven this to be true. Nowadays, chocolate is known to increase endorphins (pleasure chemicals) in the brain, much like exercise. Others believe chocolate has something to do with your serotonin (relaxing chemicals) levels.
Meanwhile, immediately after eating the Bucking-Eh Oats I made the Aphrodisi-Oats, just because I needed to write this review. I planned only having a few bites. Well, before I knew it, the bowl was empty. I kept thinking that it must contain coffee, too. I reread the label and it didn’t. I was tasting the chocolate chips which was a bit bitter as they were unsweetened – so healthy! So, after eating half the bowl, I allowed the oats sit for a couple of minutes to allow the chocolate to melt and stirred it really well. I still cannot decide which way I like it better. They both were really great.
My favorite flavor was the Redline, though I can picture myself eating the other flavors when different craving strikes me. I used to be an apple oats kinda girl. Now I’ll have to keep all four flavors in the house for the both of us.
You can purchase Stoked Oats at their online store.
THE GLUTEN FREE GIVEAWAY
This giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian shipping addresses only.
Two (2) winners will receive the following:
- Stoked Oats 950 grams (33.5 ounces) (flavor of your choosing), and a Stoked Oats hat.
The approximate total retail value of the prizes is $70.00 ($35 per winner).
How to Enter
Do Step No. 1 below (mandatory). If you wish to do any of the other steps, each one will give you an extra entry. Therefore, leave a separate comment for each step you do.
- Comment on this post below, requesting to be entered in the giveaway and explain why you wish to enter. (mandatory).
- Like Gluten Free Carla on Facebook and tell me you did so below in a separate comment. If you’ve “liked” it previously, state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Like Stoked Oats on Facebook and tell me you did so below in a separate comment below. If you’ve “liked” it previously, state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook by posting, “ Enter a giveaway to win a tub of @Stoked Oats gluten-free oats (2 winners) via @Gluten Free Carla at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/stoked-oats-gluten-free-oats/ ” on your wall and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. If you’re a previous follower, state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Follow @stokedoats on Twitter and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. If you previously followed, state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter by copying and pasting the following: “ Enter a #giveaway to win a tub of @StokedOats awesome #GlutenFree oats (2 winners) via @GFrecipebox at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/stoked-oats-gluten-free-oats/ thru Sept 1. ” and state you did so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Follow any or all of my boards on Pinterest and leave a comment below stating what you did. If you’re already a follower state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Follow Gluten Free Recipe Box on Instagram and state what you did in a comment below. If you’re a current follower, state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Add Carla to one of your Google+ Circles such as “Acquaintances”, or any custom circle such as “Gluten Free” (1 extra entry) (optional)
- Leave a comment on any of the recipe or article pages on this site (not on this page), (limit 2), and state what you did below, in separate comments. Comments on other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment) (optional)
- Share this giveaway on any of the over 400 social networks and leave a separate comment below for each share you performed. (1 extra entry for each share). (optional)
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top-left side of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber state so. (1 extra entry) (optional)
See all the current Gluten Free Giveaways!
What you should know
- This giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on September 1, 2013.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page on September 2, 2013.
- The winner will have until 11:59 pm PST on September 5, 2013 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply their full name, U.S. or Canadian shipping address, and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this page on September 2, 2013 to view the winner announcement. All shipping addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using a contest software application.
Disclaimer: Stoked Oats provided me with free products and sponsored this giveaway, but I was under no obligation to review them, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free products. I only write reviews for products that I enjoy.
And the winners are…
Rose and Raymond!
Congratulations to you both!
You both have until 11:59 pm Pacific Time on September 5, 2013 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply your full name, U.S. or Canadian shipping address, and phone number. If you do not reply within this time, a new winner will be chosen.
Because one of the winners did not reply by the specified period of time, a new winner has been chosen. Congratulations to Kryzia! I look forward to your reply to the winner’s notification email by September 13, 2013. Again, congrats!