I have had several requests for healthy gluten free recipes. With summertime here, I thought those of you with children would appreciate some ideas for healthy gluten free snacks. I remember when I first began my gluten free diet in 2005, I tried a rice cake, and could barely finish it. It was so dry and tasteless. I resorted to snacking on watermelon instead. Things have changed, but I have learned different ways to consume rice cakes. When making these chocolate covered rice cakes, be sure to use a gluten free brand of rice cakes if you are gluten intolerant. I have listed one brand below.
Dark chocolate covered rice cakes with endless possibilities. Add shredded coconut, nuts, even spice up the chocolate.
- 8 gluten free rice cakes (Lundberg rice cakes)
- 8 oz. good quality gluten free dark chocolate (or Nestle's morsels; or GF dairy-free chips: Enjoy Life or Chocolate Dream brands)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or cooking oil)
- Shredded coconut or flakes (optional)
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a sauce pan over medium-low heat or in a double boiler. When the chocolate is almost melted, remove the saucepan from the heat and continue to whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Dip the rice cakes into the melted chocolate and place them on the baking sheet, chocolate side up. If desired, sprinkle them with shredded coconut or chopped nuts and pat them into the tops. Refrigerate the rice cakes until they are firm.
You can add some chili powder to the chocolate mixture if you enjoy a bit of heat.
You can substitute the chocolate for carob chips. Carob is packed full of fiber.
Allergens will vary depending upon the chocolate you use.
2 Replies to “Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes”
I am very frustrated found these about 2 months ago and haven’t been able to find since. I really hate places when they bring something in and when gone never see the product again.
Dale, while the link that I had provided which went directly to Lundberg’s site didn’t work, I updated it with the same product going to Amazon. Amazon has a few different varieties. I enjoy the lightly salted rice cakes with sweet recipes. I hope this helps you.