While at the Natural Products Expo West trade show, I stumbled upon a great gluten free find, Sukhi’s gluten free Indian food products. They sent me some of their products and offered to sponsor a giveaway. Their products first became popular in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1992. There was a need for authentic Indian food that was made with quality and natural ingredients. Sukhi Singh, chef and teacher, met those needs with her gourmet, gluten free Indian food products. If you enjoy spicy food, then you’re going to love these Sukhi’s. I always feel good about eating Indian food, as many Indian spices are known for their curative properties. Check out my review, review the list of ingredients, and enter the giveaway, if desired. Good luck all!
Awards and Accolades
In 2011 Sukhi’s gluten free Indian food products were endorsed by the top media leaders. Dr. Oz listed Sukhi’s Tandori Naanwich (deli fresh tandori chicken wrapped in a naan bread) in his 99 approved diet foods. Oprah magazine suggested having the Curry Chicken Naanwich for lunch and boasted about the low cost. For the fourth year in a row, Sukhi’s Korma Curry Sauce was a Silver Finalist in the NAFST SOFI awards, the most prestigious awards in the specialty food industry. “Sofi” stands for Specialty Outstanding Food Innovation. You may read many more stories about Sukhi’s in the media.
I say “our” reivew because my husband reviewed two of the products since I am allergic to tomatoes. With all of the above recognition for taste and nutrition there is not a lot needed to say, but I will provide our two cents anyway.
Note: Any of the sauces may be made vegetarian by the use of vegetables, potatoes, tofu, or a combination of them, instead of meat.
I’ll first start out with my favorite, the Korma Curry Sauce. Oh my! It was amazing with its creaminess, flavor and spice. Serving it over their basmati rice and topping it with their Mango Chutney is really what made this dish. The sweetness of the chutney and the flavor of the mango balanced out the spiciness and complemented the flavors perfectly!
My husband thoroughly enjoyed the Tikka Masala Curry Sauce. He had it two nights in a row and took some with him for his out of town trip. He said, “It’s good! It’s creamy, not too hot, perfect!” He had his first serving topped with Tomato Chutney, and enjoyed it. To cut back on calories he left out the chutney, and still loved it.
The Madras Vegetables Complete Spice Mix was quite a surprise. It was one of the dishes that you keep taking a bite of to see if you can compare it to something else. Well, I had 3 servings and still couldn’t identify with it, but it was really good. I controlled the heat by not stirring the large red chili pepper too much in the oil. However, because just one of its health benefits is pain relief, I should have stirred it to my heart’s content.
We both found the Pulao Rice to be very spicy. It’s one of those hot spicy dishes where you need to keep on eating it so that you don’t feel all of the heat. I enjoyed it with several different meat dishes. Unless you enjoy fiery hot dishes, do not combine them with any of the other Sukhi’s spicy entrees. That’s just me, though. I’m a medium spicy kind of gal.
The above is just a sampling of the products made by Sukhi’s. Check out all of their products and flavors on Sukhi’s website under the many product categories. To find the stores nearest you that carries Sukhi’s use their Store Locator or purchase their products online.
All of their gluten products are tested for gluten cross-contamination at less than 10 parts per million.
Tikka Masala Curry Sauce Ingredients: Tomato Paste, Onions (Onions, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil), Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Ginger, Curry Paste (Garlic, Onions, Salt, Spices), Vinegar, Garlic, Salt, Evaporated Cane Juice, Spices, Cardamom, Jalapeno, Lentil Flour, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Fruit Rim (Fruit Juice, Natural Grain Dextrin), Citric Acid, Lemon Juice, Fenugreek Leaf, Glucono Delta Lactone (Natural Acidifier), Oleo Resim of Paprika, Celery Seeds, Ginger Powder, Onion Powder, Bay Leaf.
Korma Curry Sauce Ingredients: Onions (Onions, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil), Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Ginger, Curry Mix (Garlic, Onions, Salt, Spices), Garlic, Onion Powder, Cashews, Vinegar, Salt, Poppy Seeds, Spices, Gram Flour, Ginger Powder, Lentil Flour, Evaporated Cane Juice, Garma Masala, Fruit Rim (Fruit Juice, Natural Grain Dextrin), Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Glucano Delta Lactone (Natural Acidifier). Contains Cashews
Madras Vegetables Complete Spice Mix Ingredients: Black Mustard Seeds, Salt, Asafoetida [derived from a species of giant fennel], Turmeric, Red Pepper, Curry Leaves.
Pulao Rice Spice Mix Ingredients: Cumin, Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Bay Leaves.
Sukhi’s Tomato Chutney Ingredients: Tomato, Sugar, Vinegar, Raisins, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Spices
Sukhi’s Mango Chutney Ingredients: Mango, Sugar, Vinegar, Salt, Ginger Powder, Spices
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
This giveaway is open to U.S. shipping addresses only.
Two (2) lucky winners will receive the following:
Gift Basket including:
- Sukhi’s Home Chef Tikka Masala Curry Sauce, 3 oz., Medium Spicy
- Sukhi’s Home Chef Korma Curry Sauce, 3 oz., Medium Spicy
- Sukhi’s Home Chef Pulao Rice Spice Mix, .25 oz.
- Sukhi’s Home Chef Madras Spice Mix, .5 oz.
- Sukhi’s Tomato Chutney, 8oz.
- Sukhi’s Mango Chutney, 8 oz.
- Basmati Rice, 1 cup
- Booklet with Menu & Shopping List
The total suggested retail value of all prizes is $49.98.
If you’re interested in giving one of their baskets as a gift, see their Sukhi’s Gift Baskets product page. This is the first time I have ever wanted to give a gift basket of non-sweets to anyone. But come December, this is what I will be sending instead of sugary baskets!
How to Enter
Do step No. 1 below (mandatory), and then do additional steps if you desire to enter for additional entries. Each step/comment counts as an entry.
- Comment on this post below, requesting to be entered in the giveaway and explain why you wish to enter. (mandatory).
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so below in a separate comment. If you’ve “liked” my FB page previously, state so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Suhki’s Gourmet Indian Foods on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. If you previously liked it, state so. (1 extra entry)
- After liking our Facebook pages, share this on Facebook, “ Enter to win Sukhi’s Gluten Free Indian Food giveaway hosted by @Gluten Free Carla at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/sukhis-gluten-free-indian-food/ ” – and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. If you’re a previous follower, state so. (1 extra entry)
- Follow @sukhis Indian Foods on Twitter and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. If you previously followed, state so. (1 extra entrAfter following us on Twitter, tweet about this giveaway by copying and pasting the following (without the quotes): “ Review and #Giveaway of @sukhis #GlutenFree Indian Food by
@GFrecipebox http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/sukhis-gluten-free-indian-food/ ” and state what you did in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Follow any or all of my boards on Pinterest and leave the url to your Pinterest boards in a comment below. If you’re already a follower state so. (1 extra entry)
- Follow nonalim on Instagram. (1 extra entry)
- Add Carla to one of your Google+ Circles such as “Acquaintances”, or any custom circle such as “Gluten Free”, etc. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other recipe or article on this site, (limit 2), and state what you did below, in separate comments. Comments on other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this giveaway on any of the over 400 social networks and leave a separate comment below for each share you performed. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top-left side of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber state so, instead. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- This giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on May 21, 2013.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page on May 22, 2013.
- The winner will have until 11:59 pm PST on May 25, 2013 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this page on May 22, 2013 to view the winner announcement. All shipping addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using a contest software application.
Disclaimer: Sukhis provided me with free products, and I was under no obligation to review them, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free products.
See all current Gluten Free Giveaway
And the winners are…
Deborah and Susan Peters!
Congratulations to your both!
You have until May 25, 2013 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply your full name, U.S. shipping address, and phone number. If you do not reply within that time period a new winner will be chosen.