Review by Dr. Danielle West, ND
Maybe, like me, you’re in one of those heat zones where you need to pick and choose carefully when you turn on your oven to bake. And, especially when you’re gluten-free, you want to make everything you bake count, right? Well, folks, time to totally “get tropical” with Tropical Traditions Organic Coconut Flour!
The cookie monster that I am, once again, I made cookies; and at my husband’s request, made brownies. So, with that prelude, here we go! Time to review how the flour baked!
When I looked at the variety of recipes online (of which there are scads!), I couldn’t help notice the huge amount of liquid to flour ratio one needs when using coconut flour. If I put in six (6) eggs for example, with a traditional GF brownie recipe or even GF brownie mix, I’d have goop. Not so when using coconut flour. The amount of liquid called for in both recipes I tested was spot on. And, surprisingly, for both recipes the addition of the flour was the last step in the process – even after adding the coconut flakes and chocolate chips in the cookie batter. These were perhaps the biggest surprises which led me to my Tropical kitchen getaway.
Mounds Chocolate Brownies
You’ll find variations of this recipe, either brownies baked in the shape of a cookie, mounded high; or regularly shaped brownies made with coconut flour. I found a super simple recipe which had me combine the coconut oil and Dutch cocoa in a saucepan over a low heat before adding to the egg, sugar, vanilla extract mixture. Then came add-ins. I used a small handful of chocolate chips instead of nuts, in an attempt to savor the coconut flavor. This almost didn’t make it into the oven, the batter tasted so good!
Results: The taste was over the top good! Independent taste testing by my husband confirmed, these were “over the top good!” Now – I do have to qualify this one a bit – the texture was a bit cake-like rather than brownie like. All I know is, with a little more flour it would probably give me the perfect brownie texture. So far, without modifying, if it’s all about taste, this was exceptional!
Chocolate Mounds Cookies
Not one to leave a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe alone, I added coconut flakes and Dutch cocoa to the cookie dough/batter. Keeping the recipes I like simple: eggs, coconut oil (melted), brown sugar, vanilla extract whisked together. Add Dutch cocoa and whisk. Add the coconut flakes and chocolate chips, whisk again. Then add flour and stir. I rolled the dough into 1” balls and then pressed them down with the back of my hand. There was no spreading or rising with this particular recipe but they baked up perfectly. I was also surprised that there was no difference required using the coconut flour in recipes when baking at high altitude.
Results: What I ended up with was beyond scary good! My next step? Make another batch of cookies when these are gone (guaranteed in no more a day or two) and substitute crushed almonds for the coconut flakes and shoot for an Almond Joy type taste. What can I say? Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t – but this little kitchen baking getaway left me feeling VERY Tropical and my mouth unbelievably happy!
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
Two (2) lucky winners each will receive the following:
- Tropical Traditions (Gluten Free) Organic Coconut Flour 1.2 lbs.
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so and leave your FB name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Retweet this post dated July 23, 2011 from “GFrecipebox“, by using “RT @GFrecipebox” in your tweet and leave me a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the 328 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Share the Gluten Free Recipe Box badge on your blog (top right side of page), and leave 3 comments below stating you shared it, and please leave a link to the page where you shared it in one of your comments. (3 extra entries).
- “Like” Tropical Traditions on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter (@Troptraditions) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
- Sign up for the Tropical Traditions Sales Newsletter and enter a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on August 6, 2011.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on August 9, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on August 7, 2011 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential between us and Tropical Traditions.
- The name of the winner will be announced on this page, right below this line, on August 7, 2011.
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.
And the winners are…
domesticdiva and Becca!
Congratulations, domesticdiva and Becca!
Domesticdiva has until 11:59pm PST on August 10, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen.
This winner was chosen by using random.org: