This scrumptious gluten free bacon and cheese bread will surely delight any household. Loaded with cheddar and bacon, yet risen to perfection. Not gummy when sliced warm. Use it to make breakfast sandwiches or toast and smother with butter, honey, or jam.
When using lots of rice flour, such as 1-1/2 cups, it would make the bread a little gummy. You would minimally need to allow the bread to cool for 2 hours prior to slicing. However, when you use half (3/4 cup) rice flour and half (3/4 cup) corn flour and/or millet flour, it produces bread that it is not sticky and may be sliced while still warm.
Gluten Free Cheddar Bacon Bread (Yeast-Risen)
A decadent gluten free bread filled with cheddar cheese and bacon and moistened with real butter.
- 3/4 - 1 cup 8 - 10 slices (6.5 ounces) gluten free bacon (Applegate Sunday Bacon, Hormel Black Label, or Hormel Natural Choice)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons water (heated to 100 - 110ºF)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or granulated sugar)
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour (not cornstarch) (or more millet flour)
- 1/4 cup millet flour (or more corn flour)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or tapioca flour)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum (or guar gum for corn free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- Cook the bacon to medium, not super crisp or crunchy but not fatty or soft, just slightly crisp. (You want to be able to toast this bread after it's baked without burning the bacon.) Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate. Tear into pieces; set aside. (Tearing saves the time to clean up a chopping board.)
- Oil and lightly dust with millet flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; set aside. Preheat the oven to 170 to 200ºF.
- Stir the honey into the warm water until it dissolves. Add the yeast and stir to moisten most of it; set aside until it becomes foamy on top, at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the potato starch, rice flour, corn flour, millet flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt. Add the cheese and bacon and toss to combine.
- To the bowl of your mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the yeast mixture, cooled melted butter, and eggs. Beat on medium-low just until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and smooth out the top using a silicone spatula.
- Turn the oven off. Place on the center shelf with the door cracked open until the dough reaches the top of the rim of the pan. Remove from the oven and set on top of the stovetop, where it will continue to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Once the bread dough reaches 1-inch over the rim of the pan, bake for 40 minutes on the center shelf of the oven.
- Tent with foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove bread from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, slice and serve. Freeze leftover sliced bread and rewarm in a microwave on low or toast.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.