Last Updated on
Want to increase protein and reduce carbs in your pancakes? Do you enjoy blintz but want an easier version? Making these gluten free cottage cheese pancakes is a great way to achieve both. You can use fat-free to full-fat cottage cheese, omit oil completely, and omit sweeteners. You can top them with your favorite gluten free pancake syrup or pureed fruit.
Links You May Need:
Gluten Free Cottage Cheese Pancakes with Strawberry Coulis
For the Strawberry Coulis:
- 1 pound fresh berries
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or as needed (or smaller amount of liquid sweetener*)
For the Cottage Cheese Pancakes:
- 1 cup cottage cheese fat-free to full-fat (pureed smoothly, if desired) (Kite Hill for dairy-free)
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten (or 6 tablespoons liquid from a can of cannellini beans + 1 to 3 Tbsp. fat like butter, coconut oil, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil or applesauce for fat-free
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Carla’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend* see above link (or 1/4 cup gluten free whole grain pastry flour containing gum)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Oil for pan
To Make the Strawberry Coulis:
Remove the stem and puree all the strawberries using a blender. Strain in a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds and fibers. Taste it. If it’s not sweet enough, add your favorite liquid sweetener* (agave syrup, simple syrup, honey, or stevia drops) or transfer to a saucepan and add granulated sugar, as suggested in the ingredients list, and cook until the sugar melts.” Set aside to cool. Serve warm or room temperature.
To Make the Cottage Cheese Pancakes:
Combine the cottage cheese, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Sprinkle the top with the flour and beat in until smooth. Do not over-beat or your pancakes will become tough.
Oil a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, pour 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake. Do not overcrowd; allow plenty of room for flipping the pancakes. Once bubbles appear on the top, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden brown on the second side. Serve immediately topped with your favorite syrup or pureed fruit. If desired, add a side of yogurt or crème fraiche.
*You can use 1/4 cup of whole-grain flour such as Jovial Whole Grain Pastry Flour (no added starches), if desired in place of the 5 tablespoons of Carla’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend.