Limoncello is a lemon liqueur. There are many brands of gluten free limoncello, However, when you only need a little bit for a recipe, why waste the money when you can make your own? Here is an easy recipe that just takes a few days to ferment.
You can use this gluten free limoncello recipe in a Gluten Free Limoncello Cake Recipe.
This recipe is available to everyone.
Homemade Gluten Free Limoncello Recipe
You can easily make homemade gluten free limoncello for a fraction of the cost compared to commercial brands and it is so flavorful!
- 10 fresh lemons (or 5 oranges)
- 1-1/2 cups gluten free vodka
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Peel off the bright yellow (or orange) skin from the lemons/oranges. (I use a vegetable peeler.) Place in a bowl or other container, which will be filled with vodka soon; set aside. Remove the pith (light yellow portion) from the lemons/oranges and discard. Save the fruit from the lemons/oranges for future uses like making lemonade or orange juice.
- Pour the vodka over the lemon peels and cover with plastic wrap or a lid cocked slightly open. Allow the two to soak for 4 - 5 days. Do not refrigerate.
- Make the simple syrup by adding the water and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until the sugar melts, 4 - 6 minutes. You can simmer it a little longer if you wish to allow some of the water to evaporate, which makes a little more of a syrupy texture.
- Pour the simple syrup into the vodka mixture and combine. Cover and allow the mixture to settle at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the limoncello into another bowl. You can just discard the bottom sediment. Also, discard the lemon peels. Pour the limoncello into a glass bottle and seal. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to a month or two.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.