If you’re on a low-carb diet, this low-carb cauliflower soup will be the most amazing recipe you’ll rotate into your diet. It is rich and creamy. However, the thickness and creaminess don’t come just from cheese and cream. You’ll learn how to thicken the low-carb, gluten-free way. Enjoy it at room temperature in the summertime!
5 Total Carbs per serving
4 Net Carbs per serving
Low-Carb Gluten-Free Cauliflower Soup
- 9 tablespoons butter divided (or coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups cauliflower florets diced small
- 3-1/2 cups gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth Better Than Bouillon “Organic” Reduced-Sodium is gluten free
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream warmed (or cashew milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum*
- 3 cups finely shredded cheese not packed (I used 4-cheese Mexican blend from Sam's Club) (or Follow Your Heart for dairy-free)
- Chopped celery leaves, bacon bits for garnish, or more cheese for garnish
Melt 8 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the celery and onion and saute until tender and the onion is translucent.
Add the cauliflower, stir and saute for 5 more minutes.
Add the broth, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer a little more.
While the soup continues to cook, add the xanthan gum to 1 tablespoon melted butter and stir with a butter knife. Stir in the warm cream and add to the soup.
Stir and slowly add the cheese 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until it melts.
Taste the soup and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
Serve with chopped celery leaves, chives, or bacon bits.
*For a gum-free option, use equal amounts of agar agar soaked in about 1 tablespoon hot water.