A delicious, sweet, completely tomato free corn salsa. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or top Mexican food like tacos or tostadas.
While Trader Joe’s version of this tomatoless corn salsa contains sugar, this recipe is sugar free. In addition, instead of adding jalopeno peppers, you can easily omit them, as I did.
Trader Joe’s Corn and Tomato-Less Chile Salsa Ingredients:
Corn, sugar, onions, red bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, distilled vinegar, crushed red pepper, black pepper, coriander seeds, mustard seed salt, guar gum.
Copycat Trader Joe’s Tomatoless Corn Salsa (Sugar Free)
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion 22 g
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper 22 g
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained (425 g) (Great Value Organic)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot chili oil
- 2-1/2 tsp 5g coriander seeds
- 1-1/4 teaspoon 5g mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia powder*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño peppers (optional)
Preheat a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper; sauté until tender.
To a cold saucepan, add corn, water, vinegar, chili oil, coriander seeds, and mustard seeds.
Stir the guar gum, salt, stevia, and pepper together and sprinkleover the “cold” corn mixture and stir to combine. (Once the mixture becomes hot, the guar gum will create lumps.)
Add sauteed onion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Remove from the stove and stir in cold water. Pour into canning jars or your favorite glass container and allow to cool completely. Then, seal with a lid and refrigerate to chill.
*Sugar Version: Omit stevia and add sugar, to taste.