Do you love soup, but the summer heat is just unbearable? Try this cold beet soup recipe instead. It has a little heat as many Thai dishes do, but you don’t have to make it the typical Thai way. I used cream instead of coconut milk. Make it your own. It’s very forgiving and always delicious. Enjoy!
Cold Beet Soup with a Kick
A cool summer treat, beet soup, with a Thai flair. Make it with cream or dairy-free by using coconut milk. It's so delicious!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb. (appx. medium) beets, cooked, peeled, ends trimmed, and finely chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (Thai Kitchen*)
- 2 cups heavy or regular cream (or 1 15-oz. can coconut milk, for dairy-free)
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free chicken broth
- Juice of half a lime (optional, if citrus allergic)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat a saucepan over medium-high heat with oil. Lower heat and add onion. Saute until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add beets and Thai curry paste, stir and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add cream or coconut milk, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree until smooth. Alternatively, set aside to cool and puree in a blender in batches. (If you add hot liquid to a blend and cover it, the heat can cause the lid to fly off and the soup will explode all over.)
- Add lime juice; and stir. Add salt, to taste, or additional Thai red curry paste. Garnish with coconut cream or sour cream and chopped chives. Serve room temperature or chilled. It goes well with a slice of toasted Gluten Free Baguette. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator. It does not freeze well.
*Ingredients in Thai Kitchen Thai Red Curry Paste: Red Chili, Garlic, Lemongrass, Galangal (Thai Ginger), Salt, Onion, Kaffir Lime, Coriander, Pepper, Manufactured In a Facility That Processes Peanuts. It is Gluten Free And Vegan.
To cook beets: boil whole,without peeling or trimming ends. Do this after you boil them.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.