Everyone usually rates this gluten free buttermilk pie with four to four and half stars. When they make the lemon filling, they all rate it with five stars. Make this highly rated pie either way. It’s simply delicious. Even your gluten-eating guests will rate the crust with five stars. Some have reported enjoying it more than gluten crust.
Gluten Free Buttermilk Pie (Lemon Optional)
A lovely gluten free buttermilk pie recipe that may be made with a small amount of lemon for flavor, or tons for a true lemon buttermilk pie.
- 1/2 recipe Flaky Gluten Free Pie Crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened (or additional 1/2 cup buttermilk added to amount below)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Carla's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Recipe or your favorite commercial brand
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (3 Tablespoons for a true lemon flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (grated lemon peel, for lemon flavor) (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling (optional)
- Make half of the pie crust recipe as instructed at the above link. Press the dough into a 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Using the whisk attachment of your electric mixer, beat the eggs until frothy.
- Add softened butter (if using), sugar and flour; and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, zest (if using), and nutmeg; and beat until mixed.
- Pour filling into the unbaked pie shell; and if desired, sprinkle top with ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes on center shelf of oven, or a until firm and a sharp knife inserted into the filling turns out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftover covered in the refrigerator.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.