Whether you enjoy gluten free Chinese pork flavored with sweet and sour or sweet and spicy sauce, this is an easy full-flavor dish. Choose the quick stovetop method or use a slow cooker. Either way, it is truly delicious. You’ll never need gluten free Chinese take out again.
Gluten Free Chinese Pork (Slow Cooker Option)
Whether you enjoy sweet and sour or sweet and spicy, you can whip this gluten free Chinese pork up with little effort.
- 1 cup neutral-flavored cooking oil, for frying (optional)
- 2 pounds pork (pork chops, roast, etc.), cut into 3/4 to 1-inch cubes (or chicken)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or potato starch or rice flour) (optional)
- 15 ounces gluten free sweet red chili sauce (Thai Kitchen® or House of Tsang®) or sweet & sour sauce (La Choy®) (or [Mild Sweet Red Chili Sauce Recipe||https://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-sweet-chili-sauce-recipe/
- 15 ounces pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari or soy sauce (San-J) (or coconut aminos)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red chili oil, or to taste
- 4 - 6 cups cooked white rice (preferably jasmine)
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
To Bread and Fry the Chicken or Pork (Optional):
- If you choose to bread the pork, preheat the oil in a deep pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- If you prefer to have a thick crust on the pork/chicken, add the beaten egg to a bowl as well as the pork/chicken pieces. Coat pork/chicken thoroughly; remove using a slotted spoon.
- Add the cornstarch and pork to a ziplock bag or paper bag and shake to coat. Remove the pork/chicken and shake off excess flour; transfer to a plate.
- Working in batches, add the pork pieces and fry until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the pork from the oil using a slotted spoon. Allow any excess oil to drip back into the pan. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
To Cook on Stovetop:
- Add the remaining ingredients a medium saucepan. Add the pork/chicken and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until tender.
To Cook in Slow Cooker:
- Add the remaining ingredients and pork/chicken to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
If you prefer to tone down the sweetness and make this dish a little more savory, replace the pineapple with one yellow onion cut into chunks and the red bell pepper with green bell pepper.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.