If you’ve always enjoyed Chicken Marsala or Veal Marsala in restaurants and have tried to make your own but just couldn’t duplicate the flavor, there are usually two reasons. You may have used a recipe that didn’t contain sugar, as most restaurants make theirs on the sweet side. Alternatively, and most likely, you used a horrible tasting Marsala wine. Learn how to make as much Marsala wine as you need with a wonderful flavor as well as how to make great-tasting gluten free chicken marsala.
Also, check out my other Gluten Free Chicken Marsala Recipe. which has several differences, a little heavy cream, chicken broth versus beef broth, and large pieces of chicken, to name a few.
Gluten Free Chicken Marsala Medallions – Dredged
The most flavorful and best tasting gluten free Marsala I've ever made. It tastes just like chicken Marsala that high-end restaurants make.
- 1 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend recipe (or brown rice flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts (or as little as 1 lb. 6 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil (avocado)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or gluten-free dairy-free spread Smart Balance or Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup marsala wine substitute recipe
- 1-1/2 cups gluten free beef broth (Better Than Bouillon Organic Low-Sodium Beef)
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted or salted butter
- 1 - 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar, to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Place the flour, salt, and pepper in a paper gallon-size resealable bag. Close the bag and shake to combine.
- Slice the chicken breasts at an angle to make small oval medallions. Add them to the bag of flour, seal, and shake to coat all pieces. Shake off any excess flour and place on a plate; set aside. (Chicken always browns more if set out no more than 30 minutes. Any longer and it may go bad depending upon its temperature.)
- Preheat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon each oil and butter over medium-high heat. (I used a large electric skillet preheated to 350ºF.) Fry the medallions on each side until nice and brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set on a clean plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the marsala wine to the skillet to deglaze the pan (remove stuck on brown bits), stirring occasionally.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter and stir until it melts. If using mushrooms, add them now and stir. Add the beef broth and stir. Cook for several minutes until the sauce thickens a little, 5 - 10 minutes. (It should reduce to about one-third the amount.) Add the browned chicken medallions and turn several times until coated.
- Serve over Gluten Free Egg Noodles, fettuccine, linguine, or your pasta of choice.
*Be sure to check any commercial broth for allergens. I use Better Than Bouillon Reduced-Sodium Organic. Not all varieties are gluten free.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.