I’ve been converting some of my recipes to dairy free per many requests. The thing I would miss the most if I were 100% dairy free is pastry cream. That’s what I put in my favorite birthday cake, Gluten Free Boston Cream Pie. Last year I made Gluten Free Boston Cream Cupcakes for a picnic on the lake. This recipe tastes just as good!
This recipe is available to everyone.
For dairy pastry cream, check out these recipes. The lump-free is my favorite.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pastry Cream (Vanilla, Banana, or Almond)
A rich and creamy gluten free dairy free pastry cream that tastes like the real thing!
- 3 cups gluten free diary-free milk without gum (homemade, unsweetened oat milk, rice milk, almond milk)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free dairy-free margarine (or ghee, if tolerated), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 teaspoons gluten free clear artificial vanilla (LorAnn Oils) (or pure vanilla extract)
- 1 teaspoon lemon, banana, or almond extract, to replace 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Heat the milk and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan; stirring occasionally.
- In a separate container, sprinkle the guar gum on top of the melted margarine/ghee and whisk until evenly distributed; whisk into the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick and coats the back of the spoon. Draw a line on the back of the spoon using your fingernail and it should remain.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Distribute evenly into six 6-ounce ramekins (or one large heatproof container) and place plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment paper directly on top of the pastry cream. Refrigerate until thoroughly or partially chilled. (Sometimes you just can't wait!) Serve warm over warm coffee cake, chilled as a dessert, or as a filling for cakes and pastries, just to name a few ideas.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.