While you can purchase oat milk in your local grocery store, the oats used in that milk is most likely not gluten free. Due to oats growing in fields adjacent to gluten crops and multiple other reasons, regular oats can contain up to 10% gluten. You can make your own gluten free oat milk at home. It’s easy and less expensive. I notice a quart of organic oat milk costs $3.49 at my local grocery store. You may not be able to find organic oats, but you can make a quart and half for a little over $1.00; and it won’t contain any gum. You can also control its protein and sugar levels depending upon how many oats and the type of sweetener you use. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Oat Milk Recipe
Making gluten free oat milk at home is a breeze using this recipe. Plus it's just as flavorful and has a great texture.
- 1 cup gluten-free certified whole/rolled oats or steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill)
- 3 cups filtered water (or less for low-fat to full-fat milk equivalent)
- 4 cups fresh water, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or molasses, honey or sugar (or stevia*, to taste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract* (optional)
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- Rinse your oats with fresh water several times until the water runs clear and drain using a fine mesh strainer.
- Add the oats to a bowl, add 3 cups water, and soak them overnight or at least 8 hours. The next morning, the water will be clear, but the slimy sediment will have sunken to the bottom. Stir it up a little and drain the water out using a fine mesh strainer. Rinse and drain repeatedly until the water runs clear.
- Add the oats to a blender, add just enough of the 3 cups of fresh water to cover the oats. Blend on "puree" or "high" setting until smooth.
- Add the remaining water, along with maple syrup, vanilla, and salt, if using. Blend on "high" speed or "puree" setting until smooth.
- Transfer the oat milk to your favorite container, cover, and refrigerate to chill thoroughly. Use as a substitute for dairy milk in your gluten free recipes.
I like adding a vial of liquid non-alcohol vanilla stevia when I use this milk for drinking.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.