Q. What is the best gluten free (pure calcium if possible) that you purchase?
A. This is a great question, as those with celiac disease, are often on a dairy-free diet, as well as vegans, possibly creating a deficiency in calcium. Doctors may tell you that you need Vitamin D to absorb calcium, but the truth of the matter is that your body also needs magnesium when you take calcium. When you mix calcium gluconate and magnesium with a high enough acidity level (such as apple cider vinegar) your body will not only absorb it, it will absorb it quickly.
This is all evidence by the many consumers that use Peter Gillham’s calcium product, Calm with Calcium. It is a magnesium and calcium powder you mix with boiling water and add in your favorite beverage such as juice or tea. I drink it plain.
Peter Gillham’s products are not manufactured on shared equipment with other gluten products (preventing cross-contamination); all incoming ingredients are tested prior to manufacturing; and the final products are tested intermittenly (not every batch). In a phone inquiry, I discovered that they test for under 10 ppm (parts per million) gluten. The FDA’s proposed standard is less than 20 ppm.
Peter Gillham’s Natural Vitality Calm Plus Calcium works wonders! It includes the correct ratio of calcium and magnesium, contains calcium gluconate, the good stuff! – (not calcium carbonate, calcium citrate or calcium chloride), and Vitamin D! It is not only gluten-free, but GMO-free and vegetarian.
Peter Gillham states,
We believe calcium should not be taken on its own because it can pull magnesium out of body parts to supply the magnesium it requires for assimilation. Magnesium is necessary for over 300 different biochemical processes, such as digestion, energy production and the metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. It is also needed for bone strength, muscle strength and proper functioning of the heart and nervous system. While calcium requires magnesium, magnesium does not require calcium and can be safely and beneficially taken on its own.
Without a proper balance of these two minerals, magnesium becomes depleted, which can result in the negative effects associated with lack of magnesium and a buildup of unassimilated calcium.
Read the entire brochure on Calm Plus Calcium.
Note, that calcium gluconate is water soluble, meaning your body will eliminate what it does not need.
WebMD explains that if your daily dose is over 600 mg, then divide your dose and space it throughout the day.
I noticed that one of the side effects of calcium glucante is constipation, but you will not have to worry about that when taking Calm Plus Calcium because magnesium has the opposite effect on your digestive tract.
Carolyn Dean MD ND states in her article entitled, Don’t Forget About Magnesium,
There are four major conditions where magnesium is contraindicated so taking magnesium with these conditions can make you feel worse.
- Kidney failure
- Myasthenia gravis
- Excessively slow heart rate
- Bowel obstruction
Learn more on how to take magnesium by reading her full article on Magnesium.
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
One lucky winner will receive the following:
- Calm Plus Calcium 16oz. Unflavored – $44.95; and
- Calm Plus Calcium 16oz. Raspberry/Lemon – $44.95
Total Suggested Retail Value = $89.90
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
Tell us what extra things you have done below in your comment:
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you why to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so and leave your FB name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Retweet this post dated June 30, 2011 from “GFrecipebox“, by using “RT @GFrecipebox” in your tweet and leave me a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the 328 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Share the Gluten Free Recipe Box badge on your blog (top right side of page), and leave 3 comments below stating you shared it, and please leave a link to the page where you shared it in your comment. (3 extra entries).
- “Like” Peter Gillham’s Naturally Vitality on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Peter Gillham’s on Twitter (@peterillham) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- Giveaway open to those with a U.S. shipping address only.
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on July 30, 2011.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on August 2, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that time period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on July 31, 2011 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential between us and Peter Gillham’s.
- The name of the winner will be announced at the bottom of this page on July 31, 2011.
Disclaimer: The Peter Gillham’s provided us with free samples of their products to review, and we were under no obligation to review them. Nor were we under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free products.
And the winner is…
The winner was chosen by using random.org:
Jarvie has until 11:59pm PST on August 2, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email and supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If we do not hear from the winner by this date, a new winner will be chosen.