Using your favorite chiles, green or red, mild or spicy, canned or fresh, you can make this divine gluten free corn bread recipe that everyone will rave about! The old saying bacon makes everything better is not quite accurate for this corn bread. Why? Because there are many other ingredients added to make it even better! It’s a must try! I’m taking it on my birthday picnic. What will use it for?
With almost all of the flavors of a loaded baked potato, this gluten free corn bread recipe is perfect for everyone, including gluten-eaters!
Gluten Free Loaded Chile Corn Bread
This is the most flavorful gluten free corn bread you'll ever make or want to make. It's definitely a crowd pleaser!
- 2-1/2 to 4 slices* of gluten free bacon (Applegate, Hormel Black, Hormel Natural Choice), cooked crisp, grease reserved, and small diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons green onion, light greens and whites only
- 1/4 cup canned diced green chiles, minced
- 1 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend recipe
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons (7/8 cup) gluten free cornmeal (Bob's Red Mill "labeled gluten free" or Arrowhead Mills)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder (Rumford's)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste up to 3/4 tsp
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup gluten free sour cream
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces or 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large or extra large egg lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup - not packed (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare all ingredients and set aside at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a 9 x 9-inch pan with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together the bacon pieces, green onion, and green chiles; set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour blend, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the milk, sour cream, melted butter, egg, and 1 tablespoon remaining bacon grease. Mix on medium speed just until combined.
- Fold in bacon mixture using the paddle attachment as well.
- Spread into the prepared pan and bake on center shelf for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the corn bread comes out clean.
- Set on a wire rack to cool for 5 to 10 minutes (prevents lots of crumbs from falling). Slice and serve. Freeze leftover individual slices. To reheat, warm in a microwave on "reheat" or "low" or warm in the oven at 300ºF for 5 - 10 minutes or until warm.
*I used 2-1/2 slices of Applegate Uncured Thick Cut Bacon (where 6 slices = 3/4 pound).
Substitute the green chiles for frozen or fresh kernels of corn.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.