These gluten free puff pastry cup appetizers filled with feta cheese, spinach, and capers (olives optional) are perfect for any event. They add an elegance that only puff pastry and this amazing filling can offer. Make the gluten free puff pastry recipe or purchase premade.
Gluten Free Spinach Capers & Feta Puff Pastry Cups
Elegant and flavorful gluten free puff pastry cup appetizers filled with spinach, feta, and capers (black olives optional).
- 1/2 recipe Gluten Free Puff Pastry*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped gluten free black olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brined capers
- 1 large egg yolk, for egg wash (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole milk, for egg wash (optional)
- Make the puff pastry dough. (You will only need about 1/3 of the recipe, but instead of measuring what should be one-third of 2 eggs, it's just easier to make half the recipe.)
- Cut small squares that will fit nicely into a mini muffin pan. You'll need 24 squares about 2 x 2-inches, depending on your pan. Fit them nicely into each cup and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach and cook 1 additional minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and toss in the olives (if using) and capers.
- Spoon the mixture into the puff pastry dough cups.
- For a darker crust, make an egg wash: In a small cup, beat together the egg yolk and milk. Brush the top edges of the pastry dough with egg wash.
- If using the homemade puff pastry, bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Transfer the cups to a serving plate and allow to cool at least 15 minutes prior to serving.
*GeeFree makes commercial gluten free puff pastry sold online at the Gluten Free Mall, but I am unsure of the temperature and length of time you would need to bake them.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.