Traditional strawberry shortcake recipes are made with layers of angel food cake with a layer of whipped cream or strawberries and topped with one of the same. I used a plain gluten-free cookie recipe to line a ramekin; baked it; and tossed it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once frozen I made some homemade vanilla ice cream; added a layer of it on top of the cookie; then a layer of strawberries in syrup; then another layer of ice cream; topped it all with sweetened gluten-free whipped cream and slices of frozen strawberries; and froze.
UPDATE: Another option is to make gluten free strawberry shortcake ice cream by adding pieces of gluten free shortcake or sponge cake in the ice cream, or layer it with the ice cream. See my gluten free sponge cake recipe.
Gluten Fee Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream with Cookie Crust
- 1-2/3 cups rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour meal
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Softened vanilla ice cream (I used homemade)
- 18 strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon agave syrup or couple teaspoons of sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in mixing bowl; blend on medium speed, scraping bowl as necessary, until creamy.
- Add eggs ,one at the time, allowing it to blend in; and add vanilla. Continue mixing until well blended.
- Add flour slowly, to avoid it flying all over, and mix until well smooth.
- Line ramekins with cookie dough and bake for 10 - 15 minutes depending upon your ramekin size, or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes; then freeze in the ramekins.
- Clean strawberries and remove stem and core.
- In a small to medium sized bowl cut with 2 knives until very small, but now mushy.
- Add agave syrup and stir.
- Pour a small layer of vanilla ice cream in ramekin over frozen cookie.
- Pour small layer of strawberries with juice.
- Pour another layer of vanilla ice cream.
- Freeze, and thaw out for about 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.
- Before serving top with slices of fresh strawberries and piped ice cream for garnish.
Variations: Keep the strawberry layer away from the sides to prevent the next layer of ice cream from mixing with the strawberries as you spread it.
Use muffin tins instead of ramekins, but line the muffin tins with muffin liners for easy removal. You may also use pre-baked gluten-free cookies and skip the baking.
Add chocolate chips to the cookie dough, or even nuts.
Use chocolate ice cream or another flavor.
Add a layer of chocolate sauce instead of the strawberries, or even a different berry.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.