Custard is my favorite pastry filling, especially the gluten free recipe I use for my creme bruleé and to fill my gluten free cream puffs. However, this time I needed a lighter custard for my cannoli that I was serving at our Gluten Free in Fresno Support Group meeting at Whole Foods. Unfortunately, real custard is just too heavy for a gluten free cannoli shell or regular one for that matter. I thought I would lighten it up a bit with a bit of sweetened whipping cream, making an incredible delight! Everyone at the meeting really enjoyed the custard filling in the cream puffs a couple of months ago, therefore, I thought the cannolis with this gluten free bavarian cream would be a big hit, as well, and they were! Light and creamy, yet a custard flavor! Some had seconds and others had thirds! Enjoy!
A wonderful light custard, between a custard and whipped cream. Gluten Free Bavarian Cream is the perfect compliment to many plain desserts!
- 1 Gluten Free Custard Recipe
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Make the custard recipe the night before and chill.
- Chill your mixing bowl (preferably a metal one) by placing it in the freezer for about an hour.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form again.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the whipping cream into the custard until thoroughly blended.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If using to fill cannoli, do not fill the cannoli shell until ready to serve to prevent softening the shell.