With all of the egg yolks I had left over from all of the bread I bake I decided to make a yellow cake. Using just egg yolks adds much moisture, and creates a deep golden color. This turned out very moist and delicious. I hope all of my dairy-free readers appreciate it, as well as others. You may flavor this cake with lemon rind, orange rind, or almond extract. You may serve it plain, add your favorite icing or frosting, top it with powdered sugar, or drizzle it with chocolate ganache and top it with sliced almonds. A thin, plain icing (several cups of powdered sugar and a couple tablespoons of milk) with an added complimentary flavor such lemon rind, almond extract, etc. will do nicely, as well. I hope you enjoy this gluten free dairy free cake!
Golden Gluten Free Dairy Free Cake
A moist, golden gluten free dairy free cake made with egg yolks, that you may flavor in any manner you desire.
For the Cakek:
- 11 extra large eggs yolks (or 14 large)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract (or lemon or orange rind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cup Carla's Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend*
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder (Use Featherweight brand for corn-free.)
- Pinch of turneric, for golden color (optional)
- 1/2 recipe Gluten Free Cream Cheese Frosting (or)
For Vanilla Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar (Trader Joe's make an organic one that is refined sugar-free and corn-free)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (or dairy-free substitute), softened
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
To Make the Cake:
- Oil a bundt pan; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour blend and the baking powder; set aside.
- In the large bowl of your mixer; beat egg yolks on high until they reach a lemon color.
- Reduce speed to low; temper the eggs by adding the boiling water a little bit at a time; beat until well combined.
- Increase speed to medium; pour in the sugar slowly while mixer is still running; beat for about 30 - 60 seconds, depending upon the power of your mixer.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture; mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Add extract(s), blend well.
- Pour into bundt pan; shake to evenly distribute; tap on counter several times until the larger air bubbles surface and pop; bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Set the bundt pan upside down on a serving plate; cool for 30 - 35 minutes. The steam created will create additional moisture in the cake. Dab up any water on the plate with a paper towel, as needed.
To Make the Vanilla Icing:
- Add butter and powdered sugar to the bowl of your mixer and cream; add milk 1 tablespoon at a time; add vanilla and blend until fully incorporated. Add additional powdered sugar or milk to achieve desired consistency.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.