This is gluten free meatloaf is a traditional Italian meatloaf, but topped with a couple slices of bacon for a perfect addition of flavor. I am always experimenting with tomato-free meatloaf recipes and I was very pleased with this one. Some of the best meatloaf recipes contain a mixture of beef and pork, but this is a way to get that pork flavor with smoky accents.
Gluten Free Meatloaf Recipe Topped with Bacon
There's nothing like a gluten free meatloaf recipe using bacon. This one is topped with bacon and contains many traditional Italian ingredients.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf curly parsley
- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups grated seasoned gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Preheat a skillet with oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil and parsley and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove pan from burner and set it aside to cool.
- Place ground beef in a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs to the top of the meat.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper together and pour on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Add the cooled onions as well as its oil to the bowl.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and using clean hands, mix the mixture together, just until distributed. Don't over-mix or your meatloaf will become tough.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Shape the mixture into a 2-inch high loaf and top with bacon pieces. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes and until meatloaf reaches at least 160°F.
- Once baked, allow the meatloaf to cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.