This is gluten free meatloaf is a traditional Italian meatloaf, but topped with a couple slices of bacon for a perfect addition of flavor. I am always experimenting with tomato-free meatloaf recipes and I was very pleased with this one. Some of the best meatloaf recipes contain a mixture of beef and pork, but this is a way to get that pork flavor with smoky accents.
There's nothing like a gluten free meatloaf recipe using bacon. This one is topped with bacon and contains many traditional Italian ingredients.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf curly parsley
- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups grated seasoned gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Preheat a skillet with oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil and parsley and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove pan from burner and set it aside to cool.
- Place ground beef in a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs to the top of the meat.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper together and pour on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Add the cooled onions as well as its oil to the bowl.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and using clean hands, mix the mixture together, just until distributed. Don't over-mix or your meatloaf will become tough.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Shape the mixture into a 2-inch high loaf and top with bacon pieces. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes and until meatloaf reaches at least 160°F.
- Once baked, allow the meatloaf to cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.