I thought I would provide you all with a gluten free turkey list, as it is that time of year again, and the question about which turkeys are gluten free are starting to arise. Ensure you read all of the labels on products you use this holiday season for your gluten free recipes, as ingredients change often. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
2014 – Always check with the manufacturer whether any solution that the turkey is injected with does not include gluten. They usually use broth which may contain gluten.
I have not updated this list lately; however, I make notes when people update me. It’s a good place to start and then you can visit the manufacturer’s site or call them.
- Butterball (The new gravy packets have been reformulated to eliminate gluten, but check labels to ensure the item is the latest. It will be clearly marked. (2013)
- Foster Farms
- Honeysuckle White (free of MSG)
- Norbest (also soy-free)
- Plainville Farms (some are gluten-free – 1-800-724-0206) All are free of antobiotics, MSG, nitrates and other additives.
- Shady Brook Farms (fee of MSG)
- Wellshire Farms (tested at under 10ppm (parts per million)
Organic, Free Range, Gluten Free Turkey List
Kosher, Gluten Free Turkey List
- Aaron’s Gourmet
- Empire Kosher (Kosher for Passover)
Grocery Store Hams
Raley’s – Fire Glazed and Boubon Maple Glazed are not gluten-free, but Butterball and Diestel are gluten-free.
Safeway/Von’s – All of the brands they carry are not necessarily gluten-free. It will vary by store. My nearest store is in Oakhurst, California. I called them too late as the only thing they had left that was gluten free was a Honey Suckle Turkey Breast (2014). Thank goodness I am not cooking this Thursday.
Diestel - Per a reader, she contacted Distel on 11/25/2013, and all of their turkeys are gluten free.