Because so many of the cake recipes that call for frosting on this site call for cream cheese, I thought a nice fluffy white icing recipe was in order for those who are not only gluten free, but dairy free. This fluffy white frosting recipe is great because of the color. It is actually white (even with the use of regular vanilla), instead of off-white from so much butter/margarine. If you wish the same white color, but wish to use additional vanilla for flavor, it is suggested to use clear vanilla. There are a few brands that advertise they are gluten free. This fluffy white frosting makes a great wedding cake frosting, too! Enjoy!
This recipe is available to everyone.
Gluten Free Fluffy White Frosting
A gluten free fluffy white frosting - similar to cool whip with a smooth creamy texture, but firm enough to leave out at room temperature for awhile.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup dairy-free buttery spread (or butter or margarine)
- 1 package (16 oz.) powdered sugar or evaporated cane juice powdered sugar (organic powdered sugar*)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons filtered water
- In the bowl of your mixer cream together shortening and buttery spread on high speed.
- Add in vanilla extract and blend in.
- Add 1/2 of powdered sugar; blend; add the other half of powdered sugar; blend again (may not cream, but form small balls).
- Add in water 1 tablespoon at a time until it is light and fluffy.
*For those who are corn-intolerant, Trader Joe's makes a gluten-free corn-free powdered sugar under the name "Organic Powdered Sugar". It contains tapioca starch instead of cornstarch.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.