A delicious gluten free apple upside down cake recipe that makes the perfect coffee cake. It’s addictive! Even if you freeze it, you’ll be defrosting a lot. This recipe was adapted from Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free Warm Caramel Apple Cake Recipe.
Gluten Free Apple Upside Down Cake
A delicious gluten free apple upside down cake recipe that makes the perfect coffee cake.
For the Topping:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 large, peeled, firm apples (Gala), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
For the Cake:
- 1 recipe Copycat Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, using 1/8 teaspoon turmeric for a golden color
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-inch round baking pan; set aside.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in the microwave or small saucepan. Pour it into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Slice one whole apple and set the other half aside. Arrange apple slices in the prepared pan. Distribute nuts around the apple slices.
- Chop the remaining 1/2 apple; set aside. You can squeeze some lemon juice on top to prevent it from browning.
- In the large bowl of your stand mixer (hand mixers not recommended as they may break), beat cake mix, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla on low speed until moist. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, scraping bowl, as needed. Fold in chopped apples. Spread batter over nuts and apples in the pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for about 48 minutes and until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter; allow to rest for 1 minute. Remove pan and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes prior to serving. Top with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or serve plain.
If you prefer a finer crumb (less crumbs when sliced/eaten), use 2 additional tablespoons of butter.
For a thinner caramel sauce topping, add 2 tablespoons heavy cream as in the original recipe.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.