I have been wanting to create another gluten free muffin recipe that is refined sugar-free. Gluten free banana muffins are one of my faves! I used agave in this recipe, and course, bananas make a great natural sweetener so I did not have to add much agave at all. They came out perfect! Not too sweet, not as heavy as banana bread, moist, but not wet. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Banana Muffins with Cinnamon (Casein-free)
This recipe makes delicious gluten-free banana nut muffins - nuts optional.
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3 Tablespoons sorghum flour
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 3 Tablespoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (I use Rumford's)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum*
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ground cinnamon for topping and swirling
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Spray oil or oil muffin tins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and then add mashed bananas, agave, vinegar and oil; whisk again.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add dry ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; and blend well.
- Pour batter into the muffin tins to the top.
- Add nuts on top and with a butter knife stir in. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and swirl in.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until golden brown.
* To make this recipe corn-free use corn-free xanthan gum or skip the xanthan gum and use 3/4 teaspoon guar gum. See the Gluten Free Product List for a link to corn-free xanthan gum.
I like to add the nuts to individual muffins to ensure that they are evenly distributed, but you can fold them into the batter before adding it to the muffin tins.
Make sure you hit the muffin pan on the counter a few times to get out any air pockets. I forgot to do that, as you can see in the photo above with the hole in it.
You can replace all of the flours, starches, xanthan and guar gums, baking soda and baking powder with equal amounts of Carla's Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend Recipe. I'm sure they'll turn out even better!
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.