If you’re looking for a gluten free fruitcake, try this unconventional version. It’s really a coffee cake, but we won’t tell anyone! There’s no need to buy any fancy flours, just your basic gluten free ingredients. It’s moist and delicious. The cake mix recipe was tested by about 20 of my cookbook recipe testers and they all agreed that it’s pretty incredible.
Gluten Free Fruit Coffee Cake
A delicious fruit-filled gluten free coffee cake that everyone will enjoy. Top with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or add additional fruit to the batter!
- 1 recipe Copycat Betty Crocker® Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon or vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit from cans of gluten free pie filling (Comstock or Wilderness)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil an 11-inch tart pan, preferably with a removable bottom; set aside.
- In the large bowl of your stand mixer (hand mixers not recommended as the batter is extremely thick), beat cake mix, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla on low speed until moist. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, scraping bowl, as needed. Distribute evenly in prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Using your fingers, push pieces of fruit such as blueberries, cherries, and/or strawberries into the batter's surface. Don't bury them into the batter, but allow them to show.
- Bake for about 38 - 48 minutes, depending upon pan size, and until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Start testing at the first signs of the cake fully setting. Look for when the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and it springs back when lightly touched.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring and allow to cool on the wire rack completely.
- Dust top with confectioners' sugar using a fine mesh strainer. Just add a tiny bit to the strainer and tap the rim with your fingernail or a utensil while moving around the cake.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes prior to serving. Top with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or serve plain.
For a 9-inch pan, only make two-thirds of the cake mix:
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white rice flour
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon potato starch (or cornstarch)
1-1/3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1/8 + 1/16 teaspoon baking soda
Scant 1 teaspoon (actually 7/8) xanthan gum (or guar gum for completely corn-free)
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon turmeric (optional for color) (the original recipe does not include this)
!For the Cake:
7 tablespoons (1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon) water
4 Tablespoons* unsalted butter, softened
1-1/3 teaspoons pure vanilla
2 large eggs
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.