Because this gluten free crackers recipe contains so much butter, it can be easily made using any gluten free all-purpose flour mix you regularly enjoy. Create pumpkin cracker sandwiches and fill them with cream cheese, pumpkin and spice, or use your imagination using your favorite ingredients. Make decorative shapes using a cookie spritzer or cut the dough by hand. You make the choices and enjoy.
Savory Gluten Free Pumpkin Crackers Recipe
A crispy gluten free crackers recipe using pumpkin and savory spices. Use spices to fit your taste buds and fill them with cream cheese, and pumpkin or spice.
For the Crackers:
- 10 Tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canned 100% pumpkin puree (Libby's)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika (smoked, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
For the Filling:
- 1 8-oz. package gluten-free cream cheese (Philadelphia brand)
- 1 Tablespoon 100% pumpkin puree (Libby's) (or 1/2 teaspoon paprika)
To Make the Crackers:
- In a medium-size bowl whisk the gluten free flour mix, paprika, salt and onion powder together, and set it aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter and whip until fluffy.
- Add pumpkin and egg yolk and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mix and beat just until combined.
- Shape into a log shape and place dough in cookie press or scoop the dough onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and shape into a square or round log, wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pipe your desired shapes onto baking sheet (or if refrigerating the dough, slice the log into thin crackers and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake the gluten free crackers 11-14 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for about 3 minutes. Then transfer crackers to wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Filling:
- In the clean bowl of your mixer, add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add 1 - 2 tablespoons pumpkin or a few dashes of paprika and beat until creamy.
- Spread the filling onto one of the crackers and top with another, with flat sides together.
You may substitute the paprika to large freshly ground black pepper, chili powder, or your favorite herbs and spices.
Note: Gluten-free all-purpose flour blends containing high amounts of cornstarch and/or potato starch will create crisper crackers than those made with lots of tapioca flour. Tapioca lends a chewy texture.
Alllergens will depend up the flour you use.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.