Lava cake is the perfect dessert for 2, especially on Valentine’s Day! It is known by several other names: chocolate lava cake, molten chocolate cake, fondant, chocolate fondant, fondant pudding, chocolate coulant, coulant au chocolat, and chocolate moelleux. This gluten free lava cake is made no differently than its gluten cousin. You only need to ensure that you use gluten free chocolate. For best results use dark or bittersweet chocolate. The best way to melt chocolate is to use real chocolate, versus chocolate chips. My favorite is Scharffen Berger Bittersweet 70% cocoa, the thick 9.7 oz. bar. It’s gluten free. When dusting the ramekins with flour and cocoa, be sure to also use a gluten free “pure” cocoa powder. I like using Rodelle’s Dutch processed cocoa, as it is less bitter than regular unsweetened cooca powder, and darker in color. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy this decadent recipe. Perhaps you can make it tonight. It’s fairly easy, and you may just have all of the ingredients on hand. Happy Valentine’s Day to you all!
A flourless, gluten free lava cake, using very little sugar, and either ground almonds or almond flour. Put it all together and you get romance and awe!
- 2.6 oz. (75g) bittersweet or dark gluten free chocolate (almost 1 1/3 squares of the 9.7 oz. Scharffen Berger bar) (or between 1/3 and 1/2 cup chocolate morsels)
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup almonds flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Gluten free all-purpose flour, for dusting
- Pure cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt chocolate and the butter in bowl over a pan of simmering water; set aside to cool.
- Mix the sugar and eggs until you obtain a creamy consistency.
- Pour chocolate mixture into eggs mixture; mix well; add the almond flour; mix again.
- Generously butter two 7-oz. ramekins; heavily dust with a half and half mixture of gluten free flour and cocoa; pour in the batter, allowing about 3/4 to 1-inch for rising.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F; bake for 8 minutes, no longer. You want it cooked on the outside, and runny in the center.
- Once baked set aside to cool for about 1 minute; tap on counter to loosen; remove from ramekins. Dust plate with cocoa powder; either sprinkle top of lava cake with powdered sugar or leave plain; add lava cake to plate, along with anything else you'd like to serve with it. You may desire to melt equal portions of butter and chocolate to drizzle on plate and/or lava cake. Other options include making a raspberry or strawberry sauce from berries and sugar, heated and pureed. Dress the plate with the sauce; add lava cake; top with whipped cream and a fresh berry. You can even add some cream to the sauce in the shape of hearts.
To make a successful lava cake, always use equal weights of chocolate and butter.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.