Gluten Free Sweet Cornbread
- 1-1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon gluten-free cornmeal divided
- 1 recipe Copycat Betty Crocker™ Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix or boxed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups gluten-free buttermilk or 1-1/3 cups GF sour cream or DF Buttermilk Recipe*
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs see Notes for egg-free*
- 1 pound gluten-free ground turkey or pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 cup gluten-free shredded Cheddar cheese 4 oz, plus more for topping (or Follow Your Heart for dairy-free)
- 3-1/2 tablespoons gluten free green enchilada sauce or canned chopped green chiles
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9x13-inch casserole dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal.
In a large bowl, whisk together the 1-1/3 cups cornmeal with cake mix recipe, sugar, and baking soda; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir thoroughly until combined.
Using a silicone spatula, fold in the sausage, cheese, and enchilada sauce. Distribute in the prepared dish.
Bake on the center shelf for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven; transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (The warmer it is, the sweeter it tastes.) Slice and serve. Wrap leftovers tightly and refrigerate up to three days. Freeze in sandwich baggies or plastic wrap and then in a freezer bag for longer storage.
*For Egg-Free: Substitute 6 tablespoons liquid from can of cannellini beans and 3 tablespoons butter or margarine.