So many people are consuming chicken and turkey instead of beef. If you prefer lower fat ground turkey instead of beef, I’m sure you’ll appreciate this recipe for gluten free turkey tacos. When most people try making recipes using turkey by simply substituting one for the other, they are terribly disappointed. This recipe provides you with beef flavor without the added fat content. Try it! You’ll never go back! (unless you need additional calories)
This recipe is available to everyone.
Gluten Free Turkey Tacos with Beef Flavor
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil
- 1-1/2 pounds organic ground turkey 7% fat - Costco
- 3 tablespoons gluten free taco seasoning McCormick Gourmet from Costco
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon "Organic version only" Reduced-Sodium Beef Base
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 15 gluten free taco shells (Garden of Eatin')
- Your choice of gluten free taco fixings: lettuce, tomatoes, red bell pepper, Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, guacamole, avocado, gluten free salsa, gluten free chipotle sauce (or Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds for dairy-free)
Preheat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl around the pan.
Add the turkey and break it up using a spatula. Cook until no longer pink.
Add the taco seasoning and water. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add additional water if needed. If the water doesn't evaporate enough, increase the heat to medium and cook until no longer saucy. You do want to leave a little sauce though.
Spoon the mixture into a gluten free taco shell and top with lettuce, diced tomatoes or red bell pepper, and top with cheese. Serve with sour cream or mashed avocado/guacamole, and/or gluten free salsa, if desired. I prefer just a little gluten free chipotle sauce.
*Taco shells from Vitacost.com - made w/organic corn.