You will find this recipe for homemade sweet Italian sausage can be used on a homemade pizza crust or a store bought crust. Along with other toppings it makes the fixings for a great sausage pizza. I have added photos of the pizza that I made: gluten free sausage pizza without sauce. I usually add sauteed onion and green bell pepper, but I was short on time. I still enjoyed it and think you will, too!
Homemade Sausage Recipe for Pizza
A homemade sausage recipe used for your gluten free pizza.
- If your pizza crust is frozen make sure you defrost it first.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a pizza stone, place the stone in the oven as well.
- With hands, mix together pork, coriander, caraway seeds, pepper (and red pepper flakes, if using) as you would a meatloaf.
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan on medium high heat.
- Add sausage mixture; cook on medium-high heat until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add water and sweetener; stir; and cook until water is evaporated.
- If using pizza sauce, spread pizza over crust.
- Sprinkle as much cheese as you desire over crust as close to the edge as possible.
- Sprinkle the sausage over the cheese.
- Place pizza on top of baking sheet or pizza stone and cook for 14-15 minutes. If using a thawed pizza crust, cook for 7 - 8 minutes or until crust has reached your desired crispness.
- Slice and serve.
The photo shows lean ground pork, but the ones that pizza parlors use is the regular. I've used both.
If using lean pork, and you overcook the sausage and it becomes dry, add a bit of water to moisten.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.