This gluten free, dairy free macaroni salad is also vegan. It is made with avocado, my favorite ingredient! It is easy to make and can be spiced up with a few additions. If you are an avocado lover you will love this recipe!
Egg-Free Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Macaroni Salad
A delicious, creamy, egg-free, dairy-free macaroni salad served at room temperature or chilled a bit. An avocado-lover's dream come true.
- 2 cups Tinkyada spiral pasta* (For making in advance, try a pasta that contains some corn)
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium or 1-1/2 large avocados
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons gluten free white vinegar (I use Heinz)
- 1 - 2 pinches of garlic powder
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Gluten free chipotle sauce or gluten free cooked chopped bacon to taste (optional)
- Boil macaroni for about 16 - 17 minutes.
- Drain and run cold water over pasta; drain; and refrigerate if not ready to use yet.
- Mash avocado; and immediately add vinegar to prevent browning.
- If using, add chipotle sauce stir to incorporate.
- In a medium to large sized bowl, add macaroni and top with avocado, celery, onion, and bacon bits, if using.
- Add a lot of sea salt and pepper; and toss until macaroni is well coated.
- Top with additional chopped red onion or bacon bits.
- Chill for a short time and serve.
If you wish to use fresh garlic just chop off ends of garlic, peel, chop and smash with and salt while chopping. This will create a nice paste. I suggest using a food processor to blend into the avocado so that the garlic is dispersed throughout the mixture.
The photo above shows this recipe made without chipotle sauce or bacon bits, but I love it with chipotle sauce!
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.