I saw chef Ryan Scott make a molten lava cake in the microwave on The Today Show. So, I played around with his recipe to make a gluten-free molten lava cake. It fits perfectly with my collection of gluten free microwaved mug cake recipes. So, I had to convert it to gluten free. Check it out! It’s delicious! Can’t do flour? Try my baked Gluten Free Lava Cake Recipe made with almond flour.
Microwaved Gluten Free Molten Lava Cake
When you don't have the energy to bake but are craving a rich, chocolate dessert, make this gluten free lava cake in minutes.It's so rich, be sure to have milk or water nearby.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cocoa powder (Hershey's)
- 4 teaspoons Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend Recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (Rumford's or Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice (I used 2% low-fat)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips (Nestle's) (or Enjoy Life Mini Morsels for dairy-free)
- 1 large egg yolk (optional if egg intolerant)
- 3 rectangles of gluten-free bittersweet chocolate (Ghirardelli) or milk chocolate (Hershey's) (or Enjoy Life Mini Morsels for dairy-free)
- Spray a mug with gluten-free oil; set it aside. If you wish to transfer the cake to a saucer, line the bottom and slightly up the sides with parchment paper and then spray the entire cup with oil.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour blend, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, add the milk, butter, and chocolate chips. Microwave on medium for about 30 seconds. Stir until all of the ingredients melt and blend.
- Add the dry mixture to the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Add egg yolk and stir.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared mug.
- Stack the chocolate rectangles on top of each other and stand them up in the middle of the batter in the mug. Top the chocolate pieces with the remaining batter to cover the chocolate pieces completely. If your chocolate pieces are not covered, lie them down.
- Microwave for 1 minute. (Due to the variation in wattage of microwaves, temperatures and times will vary. So, practice this technique before serving to guests.)
- Allow to cool for 1 - 2 minutes and invert onto a saucer, if desired. The longer you allow it to cool, the less gooey it will be. However, if you wait too long, the center will not be melted. Top with pureed fruit and sugar mixture, sweetened whipped cream (even with a little cocoa powder mixed in, if you're making homemade), or serve with ice cream.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.