The traditional filling for cannoli is made with ricotta cheese. What you add to it and the quantities makes all the difference in the world. I hope you enjoy this recipe. My aunt made these for decades, and now I offer you gluten free cannoli shells and filling. Enjoy!
Note: If you are gluten intolerant, please read the article, “Is Ricotta Gluten Free.”
Ricotta Filling for Gluten Free Cannoli
For the Filling:
- 15 ounces gluten-free whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free chocolate chips, chopped pistachio nuts, chopped gluten-free Maraschino cherry halves, for filling (optional)
For the Shells:
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Cannoli Shells
To Make the Filling:
- If the ricotta is runny, drain using a cheese cloth-lined strainer over a bowl in the refrigerator the day prior to making the filling.
- Stir together the ricotta cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and if using, cinnamon. If desired, fold in chocolate chips and/or dried fruit. Refrigerate to chill.
To Make the Shells:
- Follow the instructions at the above link for the Gluten Free Cannoli Shells.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.