I was so tired of trying to find a gluten free margarine or gluten free margarine recipe that was both soy-free and corn-free that I decided to create one myself! This recipe is also dairy-free. It’s so nice to know that it is free of chemicals, as well. Though I use some palm shortening in this recipe I would imagine you can use red palm oil (red has the most health benefits, and it is more of an orange color), though it hardens more than palm shortening. And palm shortening is less expensive than red palm oil. I used organic palm shortening. If you wish a deeper yellow color we all so used to, add a pinch of turmeric. I chose palm shortening for its color, softness and neutral flavor. When my husband tasted it, I asked him, “What does this taste like?” His answer was, “Margarine.” I was a happy camper! I do taste a hint of olive oil, but that’s a good thing! Enjoy!
An allergy-free margarine or buttery spread that is gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, peanut-free, fish-free, and shellfish-free. To top if off, it's corn-free!
- 2/3 cup organic palm shortening (I used Tropical Traditions brand which is gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (using grape seed oil may create a more attractive color)
- 5 Tablespoons gluten-free almond milk (grain-free) or gluten-free rice milk (nut-free); (or coconut milk - which is not neutral in flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/16 - 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (I used 1/8, but it could have been a little lighter in color)
- Place all ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Blend until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly, less than a minute, usually. It will be a little runny.
- Pour the mixture into a small container, cover (or not) and refrigerate until firm. Covering is recommended mainly to prevent absorption of other odors in your refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator to soften prior to use.