If you are not familiar with whoopie pies, their texture is between a cookie and a cake. Filled with a cream cheese frosting, these gluten free red velvet whoopie pies are a treat that you can adjust the sweetness level to your liking. You can as much as double the powdered sugar, if desired, to make a filling closer to a oreos filling. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Some find anything made from a rich red velvet batter to be delicious. How about you?
Gluten Free Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Delicious red velvet whoopie pies you'd never know were gluten free.
- 2 1/4 cups Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder (or pure unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder (Rumford's, or Featherweight for corn-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 7/8 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (or xylitol, for sugar-free - birch derived is healthiest)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon liquid gluten free red food coloring (McCormick or less of Americolor Food Gel Paste; for organic try Seelect brand online)
- 1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting in my Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- Sift flour blend, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat, using a mixer beat, butter and sugar, until fluffy; add egg; mix well; add vanilla; blend.
- Add food coloring to buttermilk; mix well.
- Add half flour mixture to butter mixture; mix well; add buttermilk; mix well; add remaining flour mixture; mix well.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the prepared pans, allowing 2-inch space between each; dip a rubber spatula into water to smooth tops of batter.
- Bake on center rack for 9-10 minutes or until cookies come out toothpick clean and spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer cookies and parchment paper onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make frosting, as directed. Add frosting to two cookies; sandwich together; repeat with remaining cookies.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in my Gluten Free Red Velvet Pancakes Recipe. They’re truly delicious!