If you are not familiar with whoopie pies, their texture is between a cookie and a cake. Filled with a cream cheese frosting, these gluten free red velvet whoopie pies are a treat that you can adjust the sweetness level to your liking. You can as much as double the powdered sugar, if desired, to make a filling closer to a oreos filling. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Some find anything made from a rich red velvet batter to be delicious. How about you?
Delicious red velvet whoopie pies you'd never know were gluten free.
- 2 1/4 cups Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder (or pure unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder (Rumford's, or Featherweight for corn-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 7/8 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (or xylitol, for sugar-free - birch derived is healthiest)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting in my Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- Sift flour blend, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat, using a mixer beat, butter and sugar, until fluffy; add egg; mix well; add vanilla; blend.
- Add food coloring to buttermilk; mix well.
- Add half flour mixture to butter mixture; mix well; add buttermilk; mix well; add remaining flour mixture; mix well.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the prepared pans, allowing 2-inch space between each; dip a rubber spatula into water to smooth tops of batter.
- Bake on center rack for 9-10 minutes or until cookies come out toothpick clean and spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer cookies and parchment paper onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make frosting, as directed. Add frosting to two cookies; sandwich together; repeat with remaining cookies.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
You may also be interested in my Gluten Free Red Velvet Pancakes Recipe. They’re truly delicious!