While the photo of this baked spinach and cheese casserole appears to only contain spinach and cheese, the addition of eggs add protein and the cream provides a velvety texture only imaginable. This makes a wonderful dip for soft bread sticks, focaccia, and more.
Baked Spinach and Cheese Casserole
An easy, yet delectable gluten free side dish that is sure to please any cheese lover. It's a great way to get kids to eat spinach, and may be made dairy-free.
- 2 defrosted 10-oz. packages frozen chopped spinach (or about 2 1/4 lbs. fresh, chopped and cooked), drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 2 cups packed shredded cheese of choice (1 lb.) (or Daiya brand for dairy-free), or as desired, plus additional for topping
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Ground white peper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil a 9 x 9-inch baking dish or 4 ramekins.
- In a saucepan, scald cream. Do not allow to boil.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and stir to melt. Set aside to cool for about 3 minutes.
- While cheese is cooling, add drained spinach to dish(es).
- Add about 1/2 cup of cheese mixture to beaten eggs, and stir. Slowly add more cheese sauce until all is added. (You do this slowly to prevent the eggs from cooking.)
- Pour sauce over spinach and toss to combine.
- Bake for about 13 minutes or until set.
- If desired, top with additional shredded cheese and place under broiler for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least 3 minutes prior to serving.
Increase or decrease cheese as desired.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.