I took my favorite chewy gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe and adjusted a couple of things to make these sensational gluten free bacon chocolate chip cookies. There’s more to it than adding bacon. So, continue reading to learn the recipe.
If you prefer, try the recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies without bacon.
Makes 2 dozen large cookies
Chewy Gluten Free Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
Take my favorite chewy chocolate chip cookies and add bacon flavor. What do you get? The most decadent gluten free bacon chocolate chip ever with a bit of saltiness.
- 6 ounces gluten free bacon (Hormel Black Label, Hormel Natural Choice, Applegate), chopped into bacon bit size pieces
- 1-1/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons Carla’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend recipe
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (Rumford’s or Featherweight for corn-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened (Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons chilled/firm bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure/gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free semisweet or dark chocolate chips (Ghirardelli or Nestle’s; Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips for dairy-free)
- Fry the bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the fat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour blend, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add butter, bacon fat, and sugar. Cream together until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined, but do not overbeat.
- Sprinkle in the flour mixture in three or four separate portions, and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and bacon bits using the paddle attachment or by hand using a silicone spatula.
- Scoop 5 teaspoons (*scant 2 tablespoons) of dough (a spring-action scooper works well) onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. (They'll spread quite a bit.) Flatten them out a little bit. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheet for 3 - 4 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container or freeze in a plastic zipper storage bag.
*Scant = a little less than
For multi-rack baking, switch the baking sheets to opposite shelves halfway through baking.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.