I love this recipe for fingerling potatoes for a few reasons. I don’t have to peel the potatoes. I don’t have to slice small potatoes. The best thing is that they are incredibly delicious. I even surprised myself. I make them every chance I get! I can even eat them while on the Weight Watchers diet! We enjoy these potatoes more than mashed potatoes, and that says a lot.
I purchase organic fingerling potatoes from Raley’s grocery store in Central California. I’ve used the Russian Banana and French varieties as well. (I think the photo is Russian Banana variety. I make them often.) They even turn out well when slicing russet potatoes into six or so wedges.
Thyme Roasted Potatoes and Peppers and Onion – Oh My!
These potatoes and peppers and onion are the best and most flavorful potatoes or side dish I've ever made or even had in a restaurant. I highly recommend them.
- 3 large bell peppers, colors of choice, but include some red (my fave is red, green, and yellow, but use what you have on hand)
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 - 6 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin*), divided
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes**, larger ones cut into quarters, others in half, tiny ones, leave whole (or russet potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into wedges)
- Finely minced fresh thyme (or 1/3 teaspoon ground thyme) (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss the bell pepper and onion with 2 tablespoons or more of olive oil. Transfer the vegetables to a rimmed baking sheet and distribute evenly. Bake on center rack of the oven for about 10 minutes to infuse the oil with the flavors of the vegetables while you prepare the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in the same large bowl and pour an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons on top of the potatoes and toss to coat. Place the potatoes on top of the vegetables in the oven. Season the top with salt, pepper, a little ground or finely minced thyme, and garlic powder. Bake on the center shelf of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, tossing once midway through baking.
- Serve as is or drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
*Extra virgin oil has a lower smoke point compared to regular olive oil.
**I leave sometimes leave the small Russian Banana potatoes whole and slice the French in half or quarters as they vary in size.
Weight Watchers Points:
Without the vinegar, each serving of this recipe is 6 points.
These potatoes also taste wonderful when baked with a little balsamic vinegar. However, it drowns out the thyme flavor.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.