I recently developed a gluten free almond crust recipe for Answers.com (linked below) and of course I had to fill it with something delicious. I had several apples on hand and what better to compliment to almonds? This gluten free apple tart recipe has a strong almond flavor in its thick custard that surrounds that sauteed apples – just delicious! Enjoy.
Gluten Free Apple Almond Tart
A richly flavored gluten free tart recipe filled with tender, sweet apples, topped with a sweet, buttery glaze, with an almond crust.
- For the Crust:
- Gluten Free Tart Crust Using Almond Flour
For the Filling:
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 lb. (3 large) red apples, peeled, cored, and slice to 1/4-inch
For the Custard:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup brown or white rice flour
For the Candied Almonds:
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cups slivered almonds
- Make the Gluten Free Almond Tart Crust according to the instructions at the link above.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Cook and stir constantly, until sugar begins to brown. Add apple slices. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens as in syrup. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, for about 10 or or minutes or until the butter browns. Remove the pan from the heat; and set it aside to cool while preparing the custard.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, and almond extract in a medium-size bowl until the sugar dissolves. Whisk the flour in. Using a mesh strainer, strain the butter into the egg mixture and whisk until all is combined.
- Pour the custard into pre-baked crust and spread to distribute it evenly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the apples to the pie pan, on top of the custard, and arrange them in the shape of fan. Pour the apple syrup over the top and Drizzle any remaining cooking liquid in the skillet over the apples. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until custard is puffed and set in the center.
- Once baked, transfer the pan to a metal rack to cool.
To Make the Candied Almonds:
- In a non-stick frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the almonds, stir, and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until almonds are toasted. Transfer the almonds to a sheet of aluminum foil or a baking sheet and allow them to cool. Add them to the center of the apple tart. This gluten free apple tart is best served the same day.
Cut the apples thicker if you enjoy your apples firm. The way this recipe is now the apples are pretty tender.
Feel free to cut back the sugar, as this tart is pretty sweet.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.