I know that many of you have allergies to corn or prefer to avoid it. This gluten free red licorice recipe is also corn free. That’s right; no corn syrup! Make it using cherry, strawberry, or both flavorings. It’s absolutely delicious and the closest thing I can get to Red Vines without corn. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as well. See the below video for the firmest texture and below the video for the recipe.
Gluten-Free Corn-Free Red Licorice Recipe and Video
Delicious, super flavorful and chewy gluten free red licorice recipe. Use any flavoring and coloring you desire. Cherry is our favorite.
- 1/2 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend recipe (sub guar gum for xanthan gum if you are allergic to corn)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 6 tablespoons gluten free Brown Rice Syrup (Lundberg's)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4-8 drops gluten free super red gel food coloring (AmeriColor), or as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free red cherry flavoring (Lorann Oils) - (1 dram only contains about 1 teaspoon) (or strawberry flavoring (or half of each)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (optional; see step no. 8)
- Line a 9x9-inch casserole dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Whisk together the flour blend and salt and set it aside.
- Add the butter, sugar, syrups, and sweetened condensed milk to a medium size saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat while constantly stirring and scraping the bottom and sides using a silicone spatula until it comes to a boil, about 190ºF.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook while constantly stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan until the mixture reaches 250ºF using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add the flour mixture to the pan. Slowly stir in the center while slowly incorporating the flour.
- Return to medium heat and cook until the mixture reaches 262ºF for super soft (or 275ºF for firmer and very chewy, as seen in the video).
- Remove from heat and turn off the element.
- If making chewy licorice (cooking to 275ºF), quickly stir in the baking soda until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the prepared dish and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes or until cooled.
- Transfer to a cutting surface and cut into 1/4-inch wide strips using kitchen shears. Twist each licorice, roll into ropes on a cutting board or other non-skid surface (super thin for licorice shoe laces or larger ropes),
- Keep softer licorice refrigerated and ones cooked to 175ºF does fine at room temperature covered with plastic wrap. (Be careful not to store them touching each other. They're a bit sticky.)
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
This recipe was adapted from Fine Dining Lovers.
One Reply to “Gluten-Free Corn-Free Red Licorice Recipe and Video”
The one thing I truly miss!