As you may already know evidenced by the many popular gluten free protein bars, cranberries and almonds make an awesome combination. I took my ever so popular Gluten Free Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe and turned it into this wonderful holiday (or any day) dessert. It makes a wonderful treat or gift. Many members have adopted the cream cheese pound cake as their go-to pound cake recipe. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cranberry Almond Pound Cake (Almonds Optional)
A flavorful gluten free cranberry almond pound cake with plenty of moisture with a perfect texture and balance of flavors.
To Make the Pound Cake:
- Because dried cranberries are too dry, rehydrate them in a little hot water until they are soft and plump.
- Make the pound cake at the above-linked recipe, but when you whisk together the dry flour, baking powder, and baking soda, also stir in the cinnamon. Also, substitute a teaspoon of vanilla extract for almond extract. Be sure and omit the lemon zest. Do not use the lemon icing either.
- Once the batter is completed, drain the water from the cranberries. Then, dredge them in some gluten free all-purpose flour or just rice flour. Shake off any excess flour and add them to the batter. Fold them into the batter using a silicone spatula or paddle attachment of your mixer on low speed until evenly distributed.
- Follow the instructions for baking and cooling in the Gluten Free Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe.
To Make the Glaze:
- Whisk together the confectioners' sugar and water until thoroughly incorporated. Add a little additional water at a time until the mixture goes on the pound cake almost clear. Add the sliced almonds and set aside until the glaze and almonds are set.
- Slice and serve. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature for up to one additional day. Freeze unused individual slices and defrost at room temperature. (Please note that if you overbake your pound cake and it is anywhere near dry, freeze individual slices once cooled. Leaving them out at room temperature will dry them out further. Refrigeration is worse and always speeds up staling other than sponge cakes with moist fillings.
*While the cinnamon is optional, it makes such as wonderful addition, especially during the holidays.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.